Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jig heads

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default jig heads

This has probably been asked before, but do painted jig heads make any difference over plain lead heads. I use both and catch the same amount of fish on either. Thanks

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I don't think so, but I coat even the ones that look unpainted with clear to keep them looking the same and not getting the old dull dark gray.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I really think they make a big difference. I can use a plain jig head and put an orange/chart skirt on it, then I can use a white head with the same orange/chart skirt on it and catch 7 or 8 to 1 over the unpainted head. But a lot of it is just what you have confidence in.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with 1weezer, that extra color and contrast makes the difference. allot of fisherman fishing for other fish will put a red bead on whatever they are using, same goes with tubes and grubs

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Up here, i fish plain heads 95% of the time. It might be a confidence thing but i catch a lot more fish on unpainted heads. Even my favorite hair jigs have silver heads.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly think that they do when you fish them with a tube. When fishing a lead head with a minnow I don't think it matters muchs. Just my .02
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, just a leadhead with a minnow shouldn't make a difference if its colored. I think the painted head makes a differnce on tubes, simply because i have used the same tube bodies before, one with a red head and one with a green with a big eye and caught twice as many on the green one. I like to try to put the same color head that the skirt is on the jig. ex. chart. head, black body, chartuese skirt. I think the contrast makes a differnce.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the time my vote is no difference. I generally use large tubes with 1/8 leadheads inside of them. So I never care if they are not painted. I had a good friend that was a lure maker for many years. His spinner baits for personnal use had clear coat only on leadheads.:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience I have never noticed a difference when using painted jigheads. Back when Chautauqua was a crappie factory I was catching 3-5000 crappies a year (mainly catch and release) I used almost excusively jigs and while I tryed using painted heads never noticed that paint helped. I pretty much started using only unpainted heads and slammed them regularly. The unpainted head presents a natural looking color to compliment the color of the jig your using and you don't have to worry about paint chipping off or picking paint out of eyes. They are typically cost less as well.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with grizz on this one. I had always used painted heads until this fall when I started using some weedless unpainted heads for fishing the dozer piles me and my brother sink (Weedless heads made by GrouseFly on this board...Excellant.) We vertical jig sitting side by side and catch very near the same number of fish with him using the painted heads. Another way to think of it, unpainted is still a color. Thanks.
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast