Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: need help

Post Thanks / Like

Default need help

got a great tip other day but still haveing issues. need bait or lure help with cold water crappies went out twice now and catching good bass and picks but know crappie any help would but great

Post Thanks / Like

you can use the same baits all year long, if you know they are there try changing colors and going to a smaller size, sometimes you really have to get it in their face for them to take it,

Post Thanks / Like

Hair jigs seem to work best for me right now. You can get some good ones from folks on this site. I also use alot of plastic grubs and tubes. I recommend you go to a mom and pop bait shop in your area and see what they recommend. The slow fall of the bait seems to be what attracts the fish to bite so i dont use anything over 1/16 oz unless the water is very deep. Cast out count how long you let the bait fall (1 sec per foot) roughly and reel in very slow. keep increasing your depth to you find crappie. It can be slow for awhile but when you get the depth right it should pick up. You may go all the way to the bottom. I know how it is starting out I bet I went a month before I started catching crappie, hang in there itll come for u sooner than u think and stay on this site its helped me more than anything. evaluate where your fishing often there may not be fish holding there right now dont be afraid to try new areas even areas you dont think will hold crappie. if theres bait fish theres crappie. Also dont underestimate how light a crappie bite can be. It can be anything from a light tap to just tension on your line. Youll get it . any questions just post them or pm somebody, everyone here is great about helping someone out.

Post Thanks / Like

What Bama647 said and this. Start a journal and write down everything to do with weather and water conditions you can think of and your different presentations for the day. At first you will stumble into some fish and won't know what you did. Try to keep repeating what is working wether it is a location because of weather or water conditions or your presentation. After you have stumbled into some a few times, use your journal entries to try to piece together seasonal habits. After all, crappie are a creature of habit in average conditions in your area. Realizing what is not average and understanding how it will effect crappie will put you on fish more and more until you will have people sneaking out following you to see what your doing. We can help you here as much as we possibly can but the best thing you are going to be able to do is just spend time on the water until you find the fish in every season. If your lucky you might find someone here that fishes your water and could put you on them faster. But if you are like me, then the work is up to you. Good Luck. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion