Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Turned off by the glo!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turned off by the glo!

I was fishing a night a couple of days ago and had gotten into the crappie feeding on shad. It was a cloudy night so not much light. They were hitting good on Electric Chicken. I had a pack of BGBS electric chicken in Mo'Glo and decided to try them out. What could it hurt to make the bait more visible? Put one on the hook, charged it up with a small flashlight, cupped my hand around it to make sure it was glowing. And nothing not a bite for 15 minutes. Checked the jig and it was no longer glowing. I continued to catch fish like I was before I put the Mo' Glo on. This is not to say that they don't catch fish, but I do believe the glo had them put off that night. May have to try them in the shadows under the docks during the day to see if the glow gives an edge then. .

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwoneal View Post
    I was fishing a night a couple of days ago and had gotten into the crappie feeding on shad. It was a cloudy night so not much light. They were hitting good on Electric Chicken. I had a pack of BGBS electric chicken in Mo'Glo and decided to try them out. What could it hurt to make the bait more visible? Put one on the hook, charged it up with a small flashlight, cupped my hand around it to make sure it was glowing. And nothing not a bite for 15 minutes. Checked the jig and it was no longer glowing. I continued to catch fish like I was before I put the Mo' Glo on. This is not to say that they don't catch fish, but I do believe the glo had them put off that night. May have to try them in the shadows under the docks during the day to see if the glow gives an edge then. .
    I have used soft plastic lures I make with imbedded glo also. For me I have better success with them right before the break of dawn. I do not fish at night. They key to fishing them is still location! You have to fish where the fish usually love to be... Docks, wood piles, grass and weeds, shade and man made structure is always a place to start. I usually add scent or tip with a waxworm or minnow head to entice them into biting. You can get some nice slabs near Little Marina on Weiss Lake or the third pool at Neely Hanry.

Name:  GlowingSquirts-1.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  23.7 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes Don G, Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I was anchored out from a dock over structure. To my knowledge the fish never left. I think the glow was too bright for them. On a full moon the glow would?don't seem as bright yet could still be seen.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way Ship you have some great looking lures. I have seen quite a few while looking around the forum. I had an old Crosby like the one you had. Neat old boats that fish well. Mine was a 1964 model
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glo Baits

I have yet to try them, but plan on doing so this coming season. Can't see where it would hurt your success to make your bait just a tad more visible.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use glow while icefishing. They work well during the day too in slightly murky water. Dont need a light on them if i'm outside of the shanty. Natural light even makes them glow.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwoneal View Post
    By the way Ship you have some great looking lures. I have seen quite a few while looking around the forum. I had an old Crosby like the one you had. Neat old boats that fish well. Mine was a 1964 model
    Thank you my friend.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Could have been I had them glowing to brite. I charged it with an led flash light you could really see them glowing

Post Thanks / Like

Ship. Credit given where credit deserved. Read allot of information that you had taken the time to put on here. Found allot of things I didn't know

Post Thanks / Like

First time I tried the electric chicken in mo Glow, was during the day and was thrilled with the results. Went back and bought a few more packs. Next time I went, I tried them again. That day they wanted something else. It will lose it's glow fairly quickly. I usually use the light on my depthfinder to reactivate.