Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rectifer

Post Thanks / Like

Default rectifer

hi, my tach. and volt meter on my bass tracker pro crappie 170 stoped working again.. turn on the key and the votmeter goes on but never show charging and the tach. will bounce all over up to 4 then drop to 0,, anyone have this problem??. had the rectifer replaced in march 2006. now seems to be bad again, problem is the place that replaced it is out of business now.... so now what do i do??

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kads
    hi, my tach. and volt meter on my bass tracker pro crappie 170 stoped working again.. turn on the key and the votmeter goes on but never show charging and the tach. will bounce all over up to 4 then drop to 0,, anyone have this problem??. had the rectifer replaced in march 2006. now seems to be bad again, problem is the place that replaced it is out of business now.... so now what do i do??
    What motor do you have? Rectifiers are pretty easy to replace. If you ever hook your charger up backwards, even for a split second, (or hook something else up that causes a spark) it will blow the rectifier.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

25hp mercury

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kads
    25hp mercury
    Well, yours is one of the harder ones to get to but still can be done. If you don't know, it is located on the port side (low) about in the middle of the block. The bottom of the cowling is what makes it a little hard to get to but you only have to take 1 of the mounting screws out and just loosen the other. Disconnect the battery before you start. You only have 3 wires going to it. 2 yellow and 1 red. The nuts holding the wires on are 3/8. Here is the part you need. http://www.iboats.com/mall/?session_...view_id=271568

Give me the serial no of your motor and I can verify that part but this one fits probably 90% of Merc motors.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Whoops, I forgot you said you have a tach. There will also be a gray wire going to the same post as one of the yellow leads. It doesn't matter which one.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

just unhooking the battery while running will blow it . it will on a johnson and probabley on the merc to
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papasage
    just unhooking the battery while running will blow it . it will on a johnson and probabley on the merc to
    Your right, it will on a Merc too.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Your right, it will on a Merc too.

I had to replace several rectifiers on the Mariner (Mercury) 200 EFI I had and they weren't cheap! One even caught on fire when it went out - had to pull the cowling off and poor water on it to put the fire out.

A marine mechanic suggested I replace the wing nuts that hold the cables from the motor to the battery with hex nuts and tightening them down so there could be no chance of loosing connection at the battery while the motor was running. He also suggested disconnecting at least one of the cables from the battery before charging the battery. After taking his advice I didn't have any more rectifiers go out.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Always connect a cranking battery with nylon lock nuts. Wing nuts are bad news. Also if you put on a oem replacement rectifier, and not a aftermarket, there might be a warranty on it.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlefarter
    Always connect a cranking battery with nylon lock nuts. Wing nuts are bad news. Also if you put on a oem replacement rectifier, and not a aftermarket, there might be a warranty on it.
    Washington is full of wing nuts..

Don't jump start Merc's ( Mariner). Blows things up.

Some 1990's Mariners had a low current (10 milliamp) drain issue with rectifiers. Would run the battery down over a period of time if the cranking battery was not disconnected.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast