Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swayed to the dark side :-) FIRST KAYAK

Post Thanks / Like

Default Swayed to the dark side :-) FIRST KAYAK

Hard to express just how fired up I am on this first time Kayak purchase! Been fishing from canoe since 85', secretly envying Kayaks ever since. Went with Old town Vapor 10, for the money I saved think I will make it a fishing unit myself, the way I want it. The rod holders on the angler model seemed out of place to me- behind you? and the anchor trolley w/1lb anchor seemed like afterthought. I have been lurking here for awhile and just wanna say "THANKS" too everyone for sharing their experiences and knowledge.
    Cant wait to get her wet!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct about rod holders had a vapor. Rods should be straight behind you they were too wide caught every tree fishing back water. The seat could use a little more cushion a turkey seat worked perfect. A paddle holder bungie is handy too. I couldn't ever figure out anchor trolley just dumped it over the side.
    Likes teamflannel LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default ++++++

Got her wet today, couldn't take it anymore. 33f when I left the house, had ice on Yak when I loaded up just before sunset. Good thing is had the whole lake to myself. I can see where this kayak'n is gonna pay for itself, filled up my dash with lures, bobbers, and some terminal tackle. A bit different then my 15' Smokercraft canoe I'm used to, but in an hour was paddling much smoother, and starting to figure it out. Now I know where my dashboard w/rod holders can mount. Cant wait to get her slimed up!
    ++
    Likes bfish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished out of my pelican. They are great for accessing back waters hard to get to by boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Suggest you fish it a few more times before you start doing the mods, that way you'll have a better idea of what will work for you and where it will work best for you, that way you'll only have to mod it that one time for that mod. LOL. Enjoy.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to kayak fishing. Sounds like you are getting things worked out on where to place everything. Look forward to seeing your reports and pics of the setup and fishing trips.
    Congrats!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't download your picture. Congrats on jumpin' into the world of kayaking. Keep us updated on the mods.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry,
    Finally figured out what I did wrong before on the pic.
    Decided to hold off on drilling/mounting anything yet, till I get a few trips in actually fishing. On one hand I want 2 rod holders for pond/lake's, anchor trolley, paddle clip, cargo nets. On the other hand don't need a lot of things to get snagged on in the river and cricks.
    quick release on the rod holders for sure, other then that I'll wait n see until it becomes clear what and where.
    Thanks for the advise.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a nice rig.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one for sure. Good luck on the mods. Can't wait to see what you do to it.
    FISH ON

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast