PDA

View Full Version : Grizz trying Microspoons

GRIZZ
12-15-2006, 08:56 PM
I got an assortment of Microspoons today in the mail and ran right down to the lake and gave em a try. Caught a nice 8 inch perch in about 10 seconds, but it was really windy and getting dark, so I went home. One thing I did is tip a DaFly with a berkley micro tube and I'm really interested in experimenting with it. Its like a micro blade dancer. Its going to really open up new slow fishing options. I'm really impressed with the quality and colors.

Heres a pic of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Birdsongrm/DaFlytube.jpg

Are you going to be making some larger ones? These would be killer tipped with 2-3 inch plastics like triple ripple grubs, berkley trout worms, and larger tubes for smallies and walleyes and larger crappies. Maybe you could call em Giant Micro spoons. I think your design would work better than the blade dancers, especially the DaFly.

I'm going to try them on walleyes tonight.

guest01
12-15-2006, 09:13 PM
I got an assortment of Microspoons today in the mail and ran right down to the lake and gave em a try. Caught a nice 8 inch perch in about 10 seconds, but it was really windy and getting dark, so I went home. One thing I did is tip a DaFly with a berkley micro tube and I'm really interested in experimenting with it. Its like a micro blade dancer. Its going to really open up new slow fishing options. I'm really impressed with the quality and colors.

Heres a pic of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Birdsongrm/DaFlytube.jpg

Are you going to be making some larger ones? These would be killer tipped with 2-3 inch plastics like triple ripple grubs, berkley trout worms, and larger tubes for smallies and walleyes and larger crappies. Maybe you could call em Giant Micro spoons. I think your design would work better than the blade dancers, especially the DaFly.

I'm going to try them on walleyes tonight.

I can make some larger ones, I will make some up tomorrow and post a pic next to the one you have, congrats on the fish.

bugman
12-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Let me know when you get the bigger ones done...i'm in.

guest01
12-16-2006, 05:29 PM
here ya go, the pic aint no good, my camera took a d--p, but you can see the size next to the ones you have

willsjwills
12-17-2006, 07:37 PM
you may have a winner there, Keith.

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY:) :)

GRIZZ
12-18-2006, 02:38 AM
Threw that green Dafly around today. Started with that tube tipped on it and got a few perch, but then tried it without the tube and they just swarmed it. I often had a dozen perch chasing it. Looked like a piranha feeding frenzy. That spoon has a nice little wobble when retrieved. It suits my casting fishing style perfectly. I like the almost sure hook set with any hit. I cant wait till I locate some crappies to try it on. Crappies have been awol on chautauqua this year. I'm not sure whats going on. Not too happy about it.

Have you had that larger size in the water yet? What is the length of the new one? Does it swim like the small one? I'd suggest going even one size bigger as well. I'd say at least an inch wing size, maybe even a 1.5 and 2 for casting to steelhead , salmon, smallmouth, and snook, reds and sea trout in salt. I know without a doubt that larger fish will hammer it. I also think if you had larger ones you'd find a saltwater following as well. Plastic wings? Super lightweight trailers that slip on the hook. Think shiny kite tail. Attachable weights for deeper fishing? Remember the flying lure? This is a much better metal version of that concept that is way more versatile.

I'm interested in your production capacity once you have a style finalized and do you take large orders from tackle shops?

guest01
12-18-2006, 02:53 PM
glad you like them, I can make them in a even bigger size, I will let you know later tonight, for now I am going fishing:D :D :D :D :D

GRIZZ
12-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Now there is a man who has his priorities straight!

guest01
12-18-2006, 06:36 PM
o.k. here are the 3 sizes I can do, small, med and large
the small like you already have is 3/4 inch, med is 1 inch and the large is 1 1/4 inch. to use the large I would have to go to an owner hook, probably a 1/0 or 2/0. have not tried the action on it in the water but it should perform the same. I will take it down to the lake tomorrow and let you know. oh and the small dafly is the new candy pink

crappiekid24
12-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Looks good! The bigger sizes may just be the ticket small size work well but sometimes they want something bigger.

L.A. stumpjumper
12-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Hey Crappieday, placed an order for some spoons today, am anxious to try them.

guest01
12-18-2006, 08:05 PM
got it and will be sending it out to ya, have fun with them and send me some pics if you can

bugman
12-19-2006, 05:37 AM
I like the new sizes...you'll be hearing from me soon.

TN_Explorer
12-19-2006, 05:48 AM
I can't stand it anymore! I just ordered a large Christmas kit. Thanks!!

guest01
12-19-2006, 08:04 AM
Thanks for your order. We hope you enjoy them. If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail us or pm me. My e-mail is glomicrospoons@yahoo.com
Thanks again,
Keith

ToadRunner
12-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Has anyone ever had any success with these spoons on a nightstalk? I have tried jigs at night and always done better with minnows, but i am thinking about giving these spoons a try. -Toad

guest01
12-19-2006, 12:37 PM
I know that crappiequeennc or her son has used them at night, they use the black spoons tipped with a minnow, I will also do glo colors on special request, it takes more time and materials to do glo, first a white base coat then the glow

crappiequeennc
12-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Has anyone ever had any success with these spoons on a nightstalk? I have tried jigs at night and always done better with minnows, but i am thinking about giving these spoons a try. -Toad

They work just as good at night ToadRunner....I have tipped them with a minnow or crappie nibble...But yes, they do work at night..We just let them slow fall to the bottom...And start reeling them up slow...Stop ever so often and start jigging it...It's worked for us...I'm sure it will for you too...

ToadRunner
12-19-2006, 01:02 PM
thanks crappiequennc - which colors and sizes do you prefer overall and which do you like for nightstalkin?

crappiequeennc
12-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Small black micro-spoon....It's my favorite for day or night fishing...I've caught fish off all the colors...But the black is my personal favorite....

guest01
12-27-2006, 07:16 PM
o.k here are the jumbo and large dayfly's you wanted GRIZZ. they are on there way, let us know how they are doing on them BIG FISH:D:D

jhaiken
12-27-2006, 07:32 PM
Any chance of getting some tester lures sent to me. I'd love to give these a try this spring.

guest01
12-27-2006, 07:36 PM
sorry, already got alot of testers out there, if your interested we have no minimum order so you can pick ya up a few to try them out. just click on my link below. these large ones above are still being tested but we have smaller ones that DO JUST FINE:D

jhaiken
12-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Well Ok. Thanks anyway.

GRIZZ
12-28-2006, 02:20 AM
Those look AWESOME! Can't wait to get them in the water.

Spiderman
12-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Placed an order for the micro spoons tonight from East Texas. Hope they will work for me.

guest01
12-28-2006, 08:57 PM
thanks for the order, I am sure they will work for you, just fish them like a jig. lift um up, let um fall

markd85
12-29-2006, 06:53 AM
How much does the large and jumbo weigh? Thanks.
Mark

GRIZZ
12-30-2006, 03:22 AM
Stopped by a canal on Chautauqua for 10 minutes today. I used the green metallic DaFly again and at one time I'm sure I saw 50 perch chasing it at once. I'm gonna see if I can get it on video. No real jumbos, but interesting anyways. Used to find crappies in that canal that thick.

GRIZZ
01-02-2007, 03:34 PM
AHHHH no mail again today. I'm sure my jumbo DaFlys are wasting away 5 minutes from here in the post office. Maybe I can break in and go get em. I'm sure they won't mind. :eek: :cool:

guest01
01-02-2007, 04:02 PM
go ahead and break in,tell them I said it was ok, really you should have got them by now, hope your mail man doesn't like to fish:eek:

crappiequeennc
01-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Well if he's anything like mine...You might get them before Spring...LOL...

guest01
01-02-2007, 06:01 PM
just heard that post office is closed today for Ford, I didnt get any mail either:( :mad:

GRIZZ
01-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Finally got the new larger DaFlys today. I was interested to see the hooks he used so we can rig it almost Carolina style. Interesting option besides simply tipping them with grubs. I also thought that we could benefit by seeing all the different sizes together for comparison.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Birdsongrm/Jumbos2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Birdsongrm/Jumbos1.jpg

I'm going to go out and try them today and I'll try not to forget my camera this time. Unfortunately, the walleyes are totally shut down, but I'll be headed to the creeks to chase some steelies with just microspoons. Maybe I was unclear about the 2 tone dafly's. My idea was to duplicate the style of little cleos with one silver blade and one metallic blue or green glade. I would think crappies would go for that as well even in the single blades. Just think of all the productive color combos of tube jigs. Actually you could double color them both ways, either the way you did these daflys or horizontally unless that would be difficult to do.

I just thought that maybe once they are soldered you could just dip one wing in a blue or green metal dye like the dyes they use for spoons either sideways at different depths or just the tips for some color contrast. Just tossin out ideas here. Just think how sweet those chartreuse or green dafys or even regular microjigs would look with blood red tips or edges.

guest01
01-03-2007, 04:35 PM
I have been working on the 2 tone colors but the problem is every color has a different consistency and the will not blend. when they dont blend the top color will run as its being baked and the spoon has to be trashed. I could use paint but that leads to cost and time, I would not be able to sell them at the low prices I do now.

there are alot of spoons and jigs out there with fantastic paint, 4 or more colors but you pay for those colors. the coating I use is made to be durable. my best producing colors have been black,green, and orange. I just dont want to get in to fancy paint jobs that I have to charge alot for

bpm2000
01-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Got my christmas kit today - very happy with the quantity/quality! Can't wait to try 'em out when it warms up around here.

How are you supposed to fish that micro minnow thing btw? I fish primarily from docks/shore: is there a preferred method to using these spoons/jigs when bank beating?

thx again

guest01
01-03-2007, 09:43 PM
the blade bait is best ripped through the water cast it out and rip it in stop, and let it fall, then do it again till you get it back in. tie on a snap swivel and attach the blade with the snap swivel.

fishing from a dock or from shore just treat it like a jig, jig it or cast it. hope you enjoy them if you have any more questions feel free to send me a pm or email

GRIZZ
01-03-2007, 10:38 PM
How do they color metal spoons like cleos? Its looks like some kind of dye to me as opposed to paint.

drifter106
01-08-2007, 03:06 AM
Worth a try...hope they can get here by this weekend. If not no big deal.

thanks