Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: jig hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default jig hooks

Several questions for discussion concerning jig hooks (Nos. 6, 4 & 2)
    -Anyone have proof positive that the sickle type hooks have a better "hookup" than the 570 eagle claw?
    -Will the hook coating (black chrome, red or gold) add any strength or sharpness to the hook?
    -Will the sickle hook bend quicker than the 570 when pulling off snag.
    - Personal preference for the type of hook in the jigs you use

Post Thanks / Like

I get the same width of gap on a smaller sickle that I do on a larger size 570 style. I prefer black due to it slowing the rate of rusting on my tied jigs. I see no difference on the ability to straighten a hook out or bend it back when snagged. I feel I get a better profiled tie with a sickle hook than a 570

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418575848.420839.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  12.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418575874.825688.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  10.5 KB

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Only proof positive I have is my hook up ratio is much better with sickle hooks plus the hook up for the most part is in the roof of their mouth. Loose very few once hooked. Went to black chrome. They seem not to rust like the others and just a gut thing but feel they are tougher and sharper. Just got 2,000 of the new Eagle Claw LiL Nasty sickle hooks. Tried a bend test and they seem to bend out and back pretty good compared to the Matzuo or the Mustad Aberdean.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have gone to nothing but sickle hooks 3 or 4 years ago. I land 2lb crappie on a #6 sickle, hooked in the roof of the mouth. Aberdeens that I used almost always caught the periphery of the mouth. Over and over it has been this way. The Matzuo are harder than Aberdeens but haven't compared to the other sickles. I use the red or bronze in 6 thru 1/0. And yes, there is call for the bigger hooks. After my initial trial I ordered hooks, 7000 of them, all sickle, and use little else. 5lb LMB and 3 1/2lb smallies and 10+lb cats haven't been lost on no larger than #2. Try them and decide for yourself, I just hope you haven't stocked up on Aberdeens.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Slabs4Dinner LIKED above post

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer 570 eagle claw #2 on 1/8 and #1/0 on 1/4 oz. If the crappie inhales baits on tight line most hooks will be in top of mouth. If they short strike the hook you will hook them on the lip. If you start hooking them in the bottom jaw mean fish are biting on the fall. Never saw any improvements on different hook styles just look for sharp hooks. This is just my opinion but you will need to see what works for you. I am strictly a jig fisherman , refuse to use minnows.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes Crestliner08, Yodibuzz LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use custom made weedless jigheads by Grousefly ... 1/32 & 1/16oz ballheads with #2 Aberdeen hooks. 90% of my hookups are in the roof of the mouth, and even those hooked on the outer lip area don't get away very often ... as the weedguard keeps the hook from easily slipping through the rip/hole in the membrane of their mouths. I prefer the Aberdeen style hook because of it's larger barb.
    That being said :
    I have used jigs with sickle hooks, sparingly, and had no problems with them.

I'm not a real stickler for having exceptionally sharp hooks, either ... as I've stuck and landed many a fish on a hook/jighook that was bent on the tip, tip broken off, rusted, bent, or otherwise less than perfect. That's using 4# and 6# test line, on a variety of rod lengths and actions. A metal hook is much stronger than a fish's mouth, even the bony part, so a good hookset will usually drive even a dull hook into the fish.

Now, that's not to say that I'd buy hooks or jigs with hooks in any of those conditions ... but, I wouldn't trash them, once they got into that condition. And because I've not yet had a problem hooking fish with hooks that weren't particularly sharp, I haven't bothered to sharpen them when I've discovered their "less than perfect" condition.

... cp