Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rods with Longer Handles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rods with Longer Handles

Can you guys recommend an ultra light casting rod w/ a longer than usual handle? I'll be casting 1/16 jigs in very stable/clear/pressured conditions on 5-10 lb braid w/ 2-4 lb fluoro leader when needed. The rod can be 6'6"-9' or $20-100. I'll even pay more if it has a long handle w/ a nice fulcrum point for two handed back casts. Realistically I'll buy two rods-- a 6'6"-7' and a 9' to compare and build from there.

I went through a lot of trial and error finding the right trout and bass rods and would like to cut the learning curve with my crappie rods.

The 1st pix is a 6'9" Fenwick Smallmouth Tech w/ 10 1/2" handle (measuring from the butt to the bottom of the reel seat; including the cork fore grip seems to complicate things b/c some companies do/don't have one). I like how a 6'9" rod casts with a 10"+ handle. It feels like it's in the fulcrum sweet spot.

The 2nd pix is a 6'8" Fenwick River Runner w/ 7 1/2" handle. I got it on sale for $50 and it's a buggy whip so it casts a 1/32oz lures great. It's my trout rod and current crappie rod. I would be upset if I paid $150 for it b/c you can only generate forward velocity w/ the blank vs none with ur wrists/handle.

The 3rd pix is a 7'5" Powell Max w/ 13" handle. 13" seems to be the fulcrum sweet spot for a 7'6" rod and it can cast football jigs a country mile.

For rods longer than 8' should I be considering a steelhead rod? Gander has one for $40. I never went steelhead fishing but I know it done primarily from shore so the manufactures aren't shy about putting long handles on their rods. I feel like a 8-9" rod should have a 15-18" handle.
    Riversider Spinning Noodle Rod 90 Ultra Light-437138 - Gander Mountain

Can anyone break out a measuring tape and help point me in the right direction?
    Thanks

Name:  CAM00437.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  29.8 KB
    Name:  CAM00440.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  30.6 KB
    Name:  CAM00439.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  25.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Shoot a pm to seanfishy on the Florida board. He teaches rod building at Mudhole in Oveido Fl and may calculator or something. Not sure. But ya might be battling the unnecessary. Not sure if it is possible to properly load any rod enough with a 1/16th oz jig to need the fulcrum of a 2 handed cast.

Post Thanks / Like

Huntinslabs is correct here. 3 main things dictate casting distance.

1) First and foremost, length of rod
    2) distance you can separate your hands (As an extreme example, look at the 13ft surf rods with a 3ft handle)
    3) Weight being casted

Basically the faster you can move that rod and the longer it is, the more distance you can get. At 1/16th oz your also going to have line weight in this equation and terminal velocity due to wind resistance and distance (simple physics). A long rod may get you nowhere if you cant get that jig moving fast enough. Conversely everything is trade off, with added distance, you lose accuracy. (A short rod is FAR more accurate). You may want to look at steelhead rods. Same style of rod, usually a little faster action, but nothing crazy and still very light tipped. You are correct in noting they usually have a longer handle 14-16" range is pretty common for a rear grip on them.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys. someone in another forum explained what happened. there was a demand for longer rods in the 90's so rod manufacturers built them but customers complained b/c they wouldn't fit into rod lockers. so they started making longer rods with short handles. it's common to see a series of rods from 5'6" thru 7'6" all with virtually the same 9" handle-give or take an 1". boat manufactures were slow to act but finally started building rod lockers that could fit 8' rods but the handles still don't match the added rod length.
    musky/steelhead/catfish/surf rods never went thru the identity crises b/c they were never stored in rod lockers in the first place so the physics/fulcrum was never tampered with.

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got the same Fenwick rod shown in the 1st picture & love it for throwing 1/4 oz. baits.
    Likes Slabs4Dinner LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

go to a custom rod a good rod builder can put the reel seat were you want it for spinning rods i have Tennessee handles on all my spinning rods so you can put reel were you want it just my 2 cents i went to custom rods many years ago it has saved me a lot of money i get what i want
    Likes Slabs4Dinner LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have both the rods in your post...and they have served me well. I can't tell you how many rods I have gone through, and rods I still have looking for the so called Holy Grail of rods. I have been down the custom rod road with two different builders only to be disappointed. Most...if not all....of the theory on casting light baits with a so and so type rod are mostly bunk. There are so many factors involved that it is almost impossible to say a certain action rod will cast farther than another. I am now purchasing rods....and reels...out of Japan. The UL rods from there are night and day difference from what our selection is here. I fished with a rod yesterday that is rated 1/64 up to 1/4. I find that unbelievable. But it does as it says. It is X fast and some might say stiff even.....but it casts a 1/64 Trout Magnet farther than any rod I have ever owned and if a fish breathes on it you can feel it.....plus it is a lot of fun fighting fish. Going down the JDM road for tackle is not for everyone but it is an option for you. They can be expensive but they don't have to be. All of my future rods will come from Japan. They have tons of the type rods you are looking for.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Big fish is right. I build custom rods and the biggest thing my customers want is specific handles. Rod companies cannot build every rod with every handle style. They wouldn't sell them all. I prefer longer steelhead style foregrips and most companies don't build them like that.

I grew up steelhead fishing with custom rods. The rear handle on a Michigan grip is almost the same as the front. When casting, your top hand pushes while the bottom pulls. During the drift, your hand is above the reel seat and the button of the rod rests in the bend of your forearm.

Get into building rods and you wI'll never purchase another from a store. Plus, you will build species specific rods and have tons of them for cheaper than buying one. Mudhole has great classes and also a great video series for the beginner.