Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tails up or tails down

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tails up or tails down

When fishing a twister tail, and does either give a different action or fall rate?

Also has anyone ever tried one sideways? and does it swim off center rigged sideways?

just some dumb questions

as always thanks to all

Post Thanks / Like

opposite hook point =less tail snags on the hook

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Up seems to give more action to me. Yes they will tend to hang on hook tip at times.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I've always rigged em down but honestly it doesn't matter. Up down sideways the fish will still nail em.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not convinced that the direction will increase/decrease bites. That being said, the In'Fisherman magazine had an article several years back, stating that with the curl following the jig's hook bend - or "up" if that's how you see it - was better when retrieving horizontally, giving the grub a more realistic swimming motion. They went on to say that an on/off bottom jigging retrieve was best with the tail "down" or opposing the curve of the hook.

I tend to value their opinion.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

This isn't scientific, but an old smallmouth guide told me down in the spring, up in the fall! Seems to work pretty well on crappie too.

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

tail down more vibration(engineering),eaiser for the predator or fish to track down!!!espically in stained water!!! When the fish strikes the fish mashes the bait to kill or stun the bait (shad) the fish pulls vacuum through the gills creating water and air that causes the tail of the plastic to get snagged on the hook decreasing the chance of hookup!! And I need all the chances in my favor!! Tail Down!!! My two cents!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys,

I run them tail down to prevent the tail from hooking on the hook

but I don't use many twister tails as it is

I'm not sure I want to start another collection of plastics, lol I have 14 plano 3700 boxes of plastics now

again thank you all

Post Thanks / Like

At first I thought this post was a joke. Appears I was wrong. I simply never paid attention to how the tail curls. Hook it on, catch fish.

It would be an interesting test, but.... I'd be willing to bet you can hook them up... cast and catch fish. Then, hook them down, cast and.... catch fish.

Pushing jigs, try one up and one down. I'd love to see the data on that one. Willing to bet the numbers are within one or two (and that is simply because that fish was on that side of the boat).

Many of us have a bit of OCD so we always do things one way or another and are reluctant to let tiny things go. We "always" hook them one way so in theory, that is the "best" way to catch them. The reality is, I'm sure both work within a fish or two of each other at the end of the day.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes short grub LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I hook them on with the darker side of the grub up. Which usually means the tail is on the side. On solid color grubs I like tail down. So far I haven't noticed much difference. Minnows are lighter on the bottom so that is my criteria.
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast