Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Beating a dead horse-Electronics

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beating a dead horse-Electronics

I have always used a cheapo fishfinder on my trolling motoe but am about to upgrade. I have never kept a gps/fishfinder at my steering wheel and really dont care to start, so my question is what unit would be best for running on my trolling motor. I was thinking of getting one of the Lowrance HDI's but have read where they are better for using while moving. I just want to see what is below me and to be able to find fish.
    Any suggestions are appreciated

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

2d broadband sonar, Down Imaging, and Side Imaging sonar are ALL best used while "moving" ... as you will get the better image in so doing. 2d may not be quite as distorted as DI or SI, when stationary, but it will be a distorted image to a degree.

I use a DI unit on my trolling motor ... see what I'm passing over or return to a previously marked waypoint ... then if I want to remain stationary over it or slowly move around/over it, I stop paying as much attention to the screen & pay more attention to my poles/line. But, being as it has GPS capability ... if I wander off from the spot, I have it marked on the basemap and can return to it. If I were only going to go to a visible cover spot & tie off or anchor and fish, I probably wouldn't even bother to spend the money to have a depth finder, of any sort.

Something like the Lowrance Elite 5x HDI unit might be all you need. It's a 2d/DI combo unit, where you can use the two sonar systems by themselves or together on a split screen. They're currently being sold at around $200.

Similar Humminbird units (such as the 561, or 571 HD DI) are in the same general price range ($190-$260), but are greyscale only (b/w), not color units.

Down Image/2d combos work well for those that want the dual coverage beams. Plus, the DI screen image gives you a picture quality rendition of what the 2d "finger painting" image really is .. without the need of long term experience in interpreting the 2d image. But, one has to be aware of the difference in the shapes of 2d & DI sonar beams, and how the DI beam relates to the direction the trolling motor is pointing.

(* prices taken from current Cabela's ads, and may be found cheaper through other sources)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Great info! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Lowrance Elite 5x HDI and I'm happy with it. I didn't have a depthfinder before, so I might be a bit biased since it is the only one I've had. It's excellent for finding structure and brush, I have found so much stuff I never knew was there. I still have all the settings set to the factory defaults, bevause I'm not comfortable messing with them yet.

I read the posts on here until I was crosseyed, and made a few trips to Bass Pro to look at them before I decided. I really feel like with the technology these days, they are all good units, it mostly becomes how many "bells and whistles" do you want, and how much do you want want to spend. You can literally spend from $150 up to $3,000 or more. I think it's kind of like the Chevy vs. Ford argument.

I would definitely second CrappiePappy's comment that you need to understand how the shape of the beams will influence what you are seeing on the screen, and where it is in relation to the boat. There is an excellent post that explains it, I think it was CrappiePappy, actually. I will find it for you.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 12-12-2014 at 12:19 PM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll find lots of interesting discussion, charts, graphs, pics, screenshots, etc in this thread : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/fishi...-chartplotter/

I believe this is the thread that MJohnson is referring to.

But, to keep you from having to plow through 83 pages in my thread, just to find the chart or link showing the shapes of the different sonar spreads, here's a link that shows them : newDIbeams.png Photo by kosmo012 | Photobucket

Now, that's not to say that there isn't plenty of good info contained in that thread, that may be of even more benefit in learning how various units work and why they show what they show. And even though this thread was specific to the Elite 5DSI unit that I have, some of the information can be transferred to the same components of other units.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/fishi...lly-structure/

Here is the thread I was referring to. A little different picture but same idea.