Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide help....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guide help....

Just looking at and posting my answer in the "Arkie Asks" thread got me to thinking. Something I would really like to learn more about is single pole jig fishing and I have a couple of areas I would like to try. My question is this....are their guides out there that would guide in my boat? I would like to have someone with the knowledge to give the pointers and techniques, but do it with my equipment. I understand going to a lake and hiring a guide to put you on fish so that you can fill a cooler is the norm, but I am more interested in truly learning with what I am going to be able to fish with and getting the most out of it. I have never hired a guide and haven't really seen anyone talk about this scenario on here so I wondered if it were feasible? Slow day at work so my head starts spinning!!
    Last edited by Bluesraider; 12-11-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well you never know until you ask, right? Some guys who are very good fishermen, but not "professional" guides might be willing to do that. You have to consider that a professional guide may be restricted to using his own insured equipment to avoid any liability issues or even state licensing regs.

I agree with you that filling a cooler with fish when you go out with a guide is "normal", but I would much prefer to spend my money learning how to look for and then catch fish, than to just ride to a spot and have a guide point at tree. I'd like to get that lesson using my own electronics, too, but even if it was only similar electronics I think it would be valuable.

Post Thanks / Like

You know I really didn't consider the whole liability issue with it and you might be correct about that.....maybe you all that guide can shed some light on that?

Post Thanks / Like

I would just start calling guides on the lake you want to fish and tell them you want to be taught how to fish your lake...how to choose areas to search, then how to search those areas with your electronics, then how to fish the areas you choose. Let them know you aren't concerned with taking a bunch of fish home with you from your guide trip.
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Most guides will help you if that is what you want. I have hired catfish guides with just that in mind. I told them what I wanted and he did his best to fulfill my needs for that trip. I know some bass guides that have day on the water with electronics , location etc. in their program. Cant hurt to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, be up front with them of what you are wanting from them. Just tell them your not interested in catching, that will be very refreshing to them. Better yet, have them show you how they locate the fish, what and how to use it, and teach the electronics. Problem with most guides are they already have locations that they will want to go to. Just tell them lets go find new ones that they have never fished before.

Post Thanks / Like

What lakes are you wanting to fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbowhunter View Post
    What lakes are you wanting to fish?
    Sent you a PM bowhunter

Post Thanks / Like

Ok will ck. We live far apart I think but I be glad to help if you want to travel this way with your rig. No guide fee just a good time
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You would be correct on the liability of insurance. A truley licensed guide (in some states) are required to have a captains license before they can accept monies to take people out on a boat. With that said, most boat insurances specifically state "not for commercial use". Hence the reason the quide would use his boat. Because he is licensed and insured. Using someone elses boat, it would not be insured correctly.

That said, many guides are prone to work one specific area. Take them out of their element (their home lake) and they are a little above average in comparison to most others. I woudl say your best bet is to find someone from this site that is a good fisherman, that understands structure, what fish do at different times of year, maps etc... Have them come out for a day on the water (in your lake). Make sure they are knowledable of YOUR equipment. I can walk people through about anything on a lowrance unit but would be a fish out of water on an HB unit.

If it was me, I would look for a tournament guy. Unlike a guide... these guys travel to different lakes all the time. Pick their brain on how to tackle a new lake. How they read maps, and depth, and structure. Many guides attempt tournament fishing only to fail simply because they are mainly concentrating on their home lakes and have learned them well. I have many buddies from Lake Michigan that are charter captains. They put people on fish day in and day out. Put them on a boat in Lake Huron and they are out of their element. Same fish, different body of water.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast