Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone else ever try the Dura-fix aluminum repair rods?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone else ever try the Dura-fix aluminum repair rods?

I'm going to redo my aluminum boat over the winter-new front deck, etc, and there will be a lot of holes to fill from how the previous owner did things. I saw that someone (CRAY?) had posted a link to the dura-fix system. Having had extensive brazing experience in the past I thought I would give it a try. OMG, it is amazing. You have to have some nerve to try this, and I practiced on a thick (3/8") piece that had many holes in it. It takes some getting used to - like all new types of welding do - but once you get the hang of it it is neat. I have't tried any applications other than horizontal, but if it works out I may weld rather than rivet all the bracing/supports for my new deck. I did try to lap weld a very thin piece of aluminum flashing. Once I adjusted to how quickly it heated and cooled I got it, too. Neat thing is it can be used on other non-ferrous metals, too. Strange thing is the lack of fluxing. Just thought I'd post this in case anyone is looking for an inexpensive way to make their own repairs.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, new opinion after using these (or trying to use them) for a while. They work great for repairing holes, but I can't get the hang of welding things together with them. It makes a big difference when trying to use different "grades" of aluminum-at least for me. The more common grade I can buy locally is 6061, and my welder buddies tell me that it is especially difficult to weld with gas rods. Softer grades are supposed to be better adapted to gas applications. So, if you are considering these just be advised of what I have experienced. TIG welding is still the best.
    Likes metalworx LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've used them a bunch. Seems ok. Now it's not a replacement for proper welding, but the price is right and I can do it at my convince.
    i carry a few rods and a torch setup in my "on the road bag".

It took about 30 minutes for me to figure it out

tools needed...

stainless wire brush
    or
    stainless wire wheel(I prefer)

map gass as torch with turbo tip (propane will work, but is slower than grandmaw in the cold-better than nothing I guess)

good leather gloves

pair of vise grips or channel locks to move/hold the material

Post Thanks / Like

I wondered about the heat source. Because I have no trouble fixing holes in thinner material (like a boat hull) and have much more difficulty with thicker materials I kind of had the heat problem figured out. I just didn't want to invest in anything else when I don't need to use this as a repair very often...a common problem for amatures like me. BTW I saw a demo for another brand of rod, and that person had some difficulty when doing a T joint. He had to keep playing the heat on both pieces for what I considered a long time in order to get the rod to flow properly, and as you know, that is key to using this type of rod. Maybe that has been my problem with them all along since you also say that propane is slow.