Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on dock shooting rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Suggestions on dock shooting rods

Looking for a good dock shooting rod. 6' to 7' with some backbone to send a jig sailing. We have some pretty long boat houses and the crappie tend to stay in the back. I was using a 6'6" Berkeley Cherry wood it shot well, had the needed backbone, and was sensitive, the only down side is it couldn't stand a steady diet of being a catapult. So which rods do you like?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My dock shooting rod is a ESP UL 5'6" rod ... but, my jig casting rod does do double duty, at times. It's a 6'6" ESP PowerLite rod.

You can see their PowerLite lineup here: Power Lite rods | Shop | ESP™ High Performance Ultra Light Rods by Norsemen Outdoors Grizzly Jig has better prices, but you'll need a catalog to see them, as they don't show them on their website. Grizzly Jig's prices generally run about $10 less than Norsemen Outdoors website, but I'm not sure about s/h price differences.

One thing of note ... unless you really want the "poodle tail" extended handle, for hookset leverage, the 6' PowerLite rod is the same length (from handle to rod tip) as the 6'6" PowerLite rod. The "poodle tail" makes up the 6" difference in overall length. And the 6' PowerLite rod is cheaper.

ESP rods are extremely light weight, have graphite Tenn style handles w/rings, one large gathering guide & the rest are micro guides, and very fast tip action with plenty of mid-blank power. Alloy discs surround the rod blank inside the graphite handle to amplify the vibrations received through the blank, for greater sensitivity and detection of light strikes.

While I don't use my ESP 6'6" PowerLite rod primarily for dock shooting, I wouldn't bother to lay it down & pick up the 5'6" UL if I was already using it to cast jigs & just came upon a dock I wanted to fish.

I was a field tester for the ESP designer & marketing VP ... and own/use the 5'6" UL - 6'6" PowerLite - and a 9' PowerJig rod. As far as "rod in hand" use, I like them and use them as my primary rods for their designed purposes. They are, however, not user friendly for slip float/bobber stop use, because of the micro guides ... and they're cumbersome to use in a rod holder, due to the poodle tail handle extension (or the extremely short handle on the 5'6" UL model).

I've recommended these rods, and several members have purchased them. So far, there's been no negative comments made about them by those members (that I'm aware of).

... cp
    Likes Bread man LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the news just subscribed Bread man

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont think you can beat the B&M sharpshooter rods. Great for dock shooting and casting jigs of any size. I use mine as a third rod when i hang glide over brushpiles.
    Likes IkenI, Hookedonslabs, Bluenik25 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 5'6" flueger that I use , best to sit a bucket out in the yard and practice practice practice. Tip of the week cut the hook off for practice. Just saying lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have a nosey neighbor that has nothing better to do than concern his self with what others are doing. I built rod holders and t-bars for spider rigging and installed the on the boat. Set the angle on them with rods in the holders. Gave him something to bother with. I practice in the yard. I shoot under the utility trailer. It does a good job of approximating a dock. The axle serves as a cross member to avoid. Thanks for the tip. And thanks to all that have replied
    Likes Gobob, FalconSmitty LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use a custom made dunamis rod. 4ft 6in length. Love it!
    Find me on Twitter & Instagram @rhinofishing

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the best shooters in the south made this to hone his skills. Jigslinger on this forum or Richard Malcolm on facebook. He could help you. After talking with him I saw plenty of things I had done wrong or didn't think of it.
    Just sit in a chair to do it and it is like sitting in the boat
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

I need all nine holes made into just one. lol

Post Thanks / Like

I see a new game in town, look out corn hole. Ha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast