Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using bobbers for spider rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using bobbers for spider rigging

Anyone prefer using bobbers for spider rigging either jigs or minnows? What is your technique? I have tried it a couple of times with no real success. What type bobber do you use and how do you use it in 8-14' of water? Do you use the bobber only when it is calm and can go really slow or does it matter? Any good videos on it?

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a set of poles rigged with slip floats for when it get rough. I rig mine with a cigar float about 3 in long, use 1/4 oz weight on my 2 hook rig. I rig mine with the little rubber slip on bobber stops from bass pro. Put on stop then bead then float then bead then tie on a #2 Duolock snap. All my rigs are tied on a #10 swivel for quick change. When I fish them I try to judge how high my tips are coming up from the water then let out enough line that tip can bounce up and down without jerking hooks up and down. You will get some movement of the line through the float but it really minimizes the up and down jerking of your hooks when the water is rolling. I also like to use them when the bite is real light.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I found using bobbers caused my line to float too far back because of the added resistance dragging through the water. For a very slow presentation, they should work.

Gman
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We pull them out the back of the boat up north.

Post Thanks / Like

i only spider rig with bobbers, never tried it without. I use slip floats with bobber stops set at the depth I want and adjust the weight on them to hold the lines vertical.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems kind of redundant to me when spider rigging. The main purpose of the bobber is to control the depth you wish to fish. It also tells when you have a bite. When spider rigging you use long sensitive rods with enough weight to keep the line straight down and tight. You control the depth by how much line you let out and bites are detected by a twitch or bend in the rod.
    Seems to me a bobber would just be in the way and would cause a drag on the line as you move along.
    Just my two cents, I am not expert by any means.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes feelay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You're just thinking like an engineer Ray, that's all (I was thinking the same thing) :rolleyes:
    Randy Andres

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Slip bobbers work great for spider rigging in the wind.....reason.......only the waves move the bait up and down......which is a lot less movement that a 12 0r 14 ft. pole does on a rocking bouncing boat. Also makes it easier to see the bite under those conditions.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Tracker123, shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't like to use bobbers but when the wind gets so bad your rods are bouncin i feel like you have little to lose by putting them on,i went to 16' rods and that was one of the reasons why the bobbers can come back toward the boat but with the long rods you still have your baits far enough away from the boat not to affect the bite.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

This all good information. I really like this site. Very helpful people on here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast