Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions on a slip bobber rod please.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need suggestions on a slip bobber rod please.

So since the winter is here in PA we are leaving the boat at home and fishing a lot with slip bobbers from dams for suspended crappies. I am in the mood for a new rod and would like some suggestions from you folks on a good rod for slip bobber fishing for deep crappies. Something with some rather large eyes to let the string bobber stop slip through fairly easy.

Sometimes we are targeting crappies in 15 - 20 feet of water with this technique and I really need a rod specifically designed for slip bobber fishing.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bank Fishing

I would pick a spinning rod that is at least 7ft. long, simply for the casting distance. The spinning rod eyes are large enough for your terminal tackle. I would also use the bps bobber stops with the beads. They are pre-rigged together, (very small). All you do is slip them on the line,attach hook and split shot. I almost always use the slip cork setup. Also you can use a fairly large cork (3 to 4 in) for added weight for distance. Good Luck and hope your bobber sinks with a big one!!

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about the little rubber bobber stops? You know I havent used them in years because the last time I used them they just kept popping off when they would go through the eyes of the rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah those rubber stops break down in the sunlight and become loose after a short time or just fall off. The string ties are the best and slip through big spinning eyes easily and can be moved up and down the line without loosening.
    I use Light Ugly Stiks for all my bobber reels. I have 15 lb braid on them to be able to land bigger fish that hold deep (sometimes cats and bass hit the jig).
    Like said, you need the bigger eyes so the bobber stop will not catch on the eyes.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that is the one. You can buy bobber stop sizes to match your fishing line up to around 12 lb test:
    SKU:
    948651 These are made of nylon with a bead, 12 sets for $2.19

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro Microlite 8.5' Float n' Fly

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would look at the one D4D posted or the B&M Float and Fly at 7ft 9in.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes bowhunter63 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    I would look at the one D4D posted or the B&M Float and Fly at 7ft 9in.
    Actually, Cray ... the BnM Float and Fly rod (Duckworth model) is advertised at 8' long, but is actually slightly longer than 8' ... I know, because I field tested them for BnM, and have two of them.
    I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the rod for slip float fishing, as that's my primary use for mine.

But, if you (Bobo) prefer a longer rod (9'-10') then the BnM Tenn Handle FnF rods would be a good choice. Even though these rods are 1-2ft longer than the 8' model, they're likely lighter in weight because they do not have the 2.5oz balance weight system in the butt of the handle (like the 8' Duckworth model has). They have a longer cork handle (Tenn style) with rings for mounting your reel ... whereas the 8' model has a short cork handle, fixed reel seat position, and the counter balance weight system.

... cp
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use BPS MicroLite but these look interesting. I am ordering 2 right now. What a price. Be sure and open the little drop down menu. I am not affiliated with this company just sharing a link mods!!Amazon.com : Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod : Spinning Fishing Rods : Sports & Outdoors
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use both the 8ft. BnM Float-n-Fly and a 8ft. BnM Ultimate for slip cork fishing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast