Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default General advice

Hello everyone I'm new to this site and just had a few questions for everyone. First off I'm in the market for a new rod. Now I have looked at the st croix rods but they are just a little out of my price range. I'm looking for a rod in the 6 foot range light powered with a fast a action tip and preferably one piece. My reel is a pfleuger president spincast. My second question is about fish finders. There's so many options what unit would you suggest that's around the 200 price range. And my last question is about winter fishing it's 39 today in indiana and I'm goin to try and fish again today. For some reason I haven't been able to get a bite this winter so what's the severer or method everyone uses to catch them. Do you just do a super slow retrieve or do u just jig it and pop it vertically.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Come on over to the Electronics forum and we'll get you on the road to a sonar unit that can work in your budget ...

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/fishi...d-photography/

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ain't no such thing as a "fish finder".
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome

In winter tight line works for me. Drop it and don't move it. Good luck!

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

If you like the St Croix, wait, save, and buy the St Croix.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Luvfatslabs is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stormcloud View Post
    If you like the St Croix, wait, save, and buy the St Croix.
    Or Bass Pro Shop has a 6 payment plan for orders over $125, they do this a few times a year
    Good luck and good fishing

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're looking for a 6' rod with fast tip, very light weight, one piece, and very sensitive .... then you might consider this rod : E60PLS 6' Power Lite Rod | Shop | ESPβ„’ High Performance Ultra Light Rods by Norsemen Outdoors
    Now, if you're going to be using slip floats, this rod may not be the best choice, as it has micro guides and bobber stops don't flow through them very well. But, if you're going to be using it to cast jigs, vertical jig, or hold it "in hand" while tightline fishing ... then it's worthy of a look.

Grizzly Jig doesn't show them on their website, but do list them in their catalog for around $10 less than the home website above.

Now, ESP does offer a 6'6" PowerLite rod ... but the only difference is 6" of handle extension.

As far as depth finders go, all major brands will have a unit in your price range. But, what you need to decide is how you're going to use the unit & what capabilities it must have to meet your needs. Once you've figured that out, I suggest you contact Brian@BBGMarine (on the sponsors classifieds forum) and tell him what you need and your budget, and let him give you the options he has to fill those requirements.

Now ...so that you'll know where I'm coming from : I've had no personal dealings with BBG or Grizzly Jig, and am just going on the opinions & positive comments made towards them by the members.
    I was a field tester for ESP rods, twice, and own/use a 5'6" UL - 6'6" PowerLite - 9' PowerJig rod.

... cp

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Berkley Lightning Rod in medium action. Mine is two piece and has a light tip and good power in the middle, and will cast a 1/32 jig a long way with 4lb line. Handle before you buy. Names and action ratings are deceiving. And I agree, if you like a St. Croix, save your money and get one. Don't know anyone who regrets spending the money on one. A one piece 66lf is on my want list.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I have Hummingbird 561 sonar. Well under $200 and it's basic black and white sonar. I use it with a basic handheld GPS to get over brush/drops, etc. For vertical jigging in winter (and other times) I like one or two 12' jig poles held in hand. I usually hover and usually hold the rod still. The long rods keep the jig away from the boat and I can leave the depth set as the jig depth is usually 14' or less where I fish. I like a 5'-6' limber ultralight rod for casting jigs or slip bobbers. You may want a few different cheaper rods to stay versatile. Good luck with your setup.

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the sight. Go to grizzlyjig.com and view rods. The shipping is reasonable and fast. Also you can call them for advice. Tell them what you want and your budget. They will hook you up, I promise.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both
    Likes bigorange84 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast