Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: crappie school following caught crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie school following caught crappie

I caught a nice crappie while fishing the other day. When the crappie was approaching the boat, I noticed something chasing after it. I thought it was a decent bass but after further inspection I noticed it was a huge crappie and it wasnt alone. There were three otehr crappie all total following the one I had hooked. The crappie was fighting pretty good and I couldnt just lift him in right away. He ran a couple times alongside the boat and everywhere he went the other crappie followed. I have never seen this before, maybe because usually I'm not looking down in the water much or it has not happened to me before. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Post Thanks / Like

We see bass do that alot but I've only seen crappie do it a couple times and then it was just one following the hooked fish.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default animal behavior...

Every thrown a piece of meat out to a pack of dogs or cats? Better yet, corn on the cob to a gathering of cows...animals can show some unique characteristics at times.
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Post Thanks / Like

Default The follower

That is why you catch 2 at a time sometimes with 2 jigs. Also I sometime see that the fish I catch get closer to the boat as I catch a few. I assume they are following the others in. When they are in a feeding frenzy they try to take the bait away or get the leftovers. Lazy fish!
    Secretary of Da Fish!

Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed it mostly with bluegill, not sure but I think keeping the fish in the floating wire basket helps keep the school around the boat too. If the bite slows down, I'll spin that basket around by the handle a few times and get some fish scales floating down. Seems to get the bite going again sometimes.
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek: