Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Big hole in Arthur?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big hole in Arthur?

Anyone we know who may have been driving across Lake Arthur yesterday? I understand there may have been a vehicle that went through the ice 100 yards out from the landing we had our KCA meeting at. Hope no one got hurt.

Bob G is offline Moderator Keystone Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Zig
    Anyone we know who may have been driving across Lake Arthur yesterday? I understand there may have been a vehicle that went through the ice 100 yards out from the landing we had our KCA meeting at. Hope no one got hurt.
    They haven't found anything yet. They said the water is dark and they can not see anything.
    Bob Griffith
    Ice Team Power Stick
    Clam Corp. Pro Staff
    Keystone Crappie Association member

Post Thanks / Like

55 year old woman. What the heck was she doing on a snowmobile trail?
    Had an article in this mornings paper, but something is missing - the situation just doesn't make sense to me. The paper said she was seen earlier doing doughnuts on another section of the lake - wonder if this was a suicide?
    Last edited by Big Zig; 12-29-2004 at 07:55 AM.

Bob G is offline Moderator Keystone Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Its funny you mentioned that it seems fishy. I was thinking the same thing. When they showed the tire tracks in the snow, it seemed that the tire tracks led straight to the hole like the car coasted over there. It didn't seem to me from the picture like the car was spinning tire. I'm wondering if there isn't more to this than meets the eye? hmmmmm!
    Bob Griffith
    Ice Team Power Stick
    Clam Corp. Pro Staff
    Keystone Crappie Association member

Post Thanks / Like

Another detail that isn't sitting right with me - it was reported that the water was "too dark and deep" to find anything originally. This morning article said the car was on all fours in 12 feet of water. Now, my addition doesn't always work, but the height of a Pontiac is say 4' from the frame to the roof. A diver on a 30º vertical drop would go 4' in height - that leaves 4 feet of vision from the surface. How can you not find a vehicle under these circumstances?

And they're leaving it there (until spring thaw)!! Can't wait till the environmentalists get a hold of that decision.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised they're leaving it there too. I was up there yesterday ice fishing and saw the hole. I was shocked to see there were no signs of them attempting to recover the vehicle, that seems strange to me also. Wonder what more will come out about this.

Mike

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Slabs, they cant get the car thru the ice without damaging it. They want to keep it intact so they can go over it for any signs of foul play. I too wondered about the gas and oil leaking into the lake and what effect it will have on the area. Terribly tragic situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me get this right. They have the technology to raise an 1800lb vehicle out of 12 feet of water, but don't know how to remove enough ice over the vehicle to get it out now? Can anybody show them how to use a chainsaw? It almost sounds like they don't want to use the resources to get it out.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. If they really want that car out, it wont be hard to break up the ice and put the float bags in the car like they want to do. And it shouldn't take all day to do it.