Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Question

Does anyone on here run one of the big 20 foot deep wide aluminum boats like a war eagle or something similar? I am a die hard bass fisherman that loves to crappie fish too and part of me is wanting to get away from a fiberglass boat and get me an aluminum rig that I don't have to worry so much about messing up. What is the general consensus?

Post Thanks / Like

I fish out of a 20 ft Seaark Vcat. I spider rig long line with it. It does move some if the wind picks up. I just fire the big motor up and go back down and turn around to go against the wind again. I have a ipilot 80 lb 24v and run all day without any trouble. Also has Gator hide spray in liner on the floors so cleanup is easy with a garden hose and scrub brush and doesn't get too hot in the summer unless over 90 degrees then I will put my sandals back on.

Post Thanks / Like

Ramboc, there are pros and cons both ways. I just recently made the switch to a 19 foot Lowe from running 18 to 20 foot bass boats for the last 32 years. Its different! Heres a few of my thoughts: You will love the gas mileage. Less motor = less speed, that was a big adjustment for me, but instead of filling up every time you pass a gas pump, now i try to remember to fill up on the first of the month. I'm running a 4-stroke 115 Merc. I don't know what it runs on, cause it sure don't use much gas! The mental adjustment from a cruising speed of 65/70 down to 40 takes some getting used to though. That old saying that "the wind is your friend" no longer applies. Your not going to like trying to throw a spinnerbait in 3 foot swells in the aluminum boat. Not saying you cant do it, it's just not the same comfort level. Neither is the ride on a windy day. Some aluminum boats ride better in rough water than others, i've heard lots of comments on how good some of them are, not saying they are bad, but they just ain't a bass boat.There are things an aluminum does better though. Shallow water is one of them! Stump fields are another. I like fishing shallow water, so i give advantage to mine here. I also like to spider rig with 2 in the front. Again, advantage aluminum here. Most are built these days set up with multiple seats up front. Running up to the big end of Beaver Lake in the summer, ain't going to happin.Big boat wakes suck. Depending on where you fish, your style of fishing may change with aluminum. I go places now that i wouldn't /couldn't in the bass boat. i launch place where i never could in a bass boat. I tow the aluminum and the truck doesn't even know its there. Also, I don't go places now that i used to in a bass boat. Confused yet? Find a buddy with a big aluminum and go fish with them. Make your choice and learn to love it. Find a boat that fits, and pay extra for a good trailer. I see too many good aluminum boats these days, with light weight trailers under them. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
    -We don't need no stinkin' minners!--

www.picolures.com
    Likes N/A, Gobob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have an aluminum G3 and love it. The lakes I fish here in NE Indiana aren't that big, so big waves are not a concern. The wind does blow me around though. I like the boat for getting up in the shallows.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I can definitely see the advantages to aluminum. I mainly fish on the Arkansas River from Oklahoma to Dardanelle with occasional trips to Ouachita and Tenkiller. I sure don't like fishing in the wind in any kind of boat. It just seems like the price of glass boats is getting to the point that it takes away the enjoyment because I would spend more time worrying and less time fishing

chaunc is online now 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out the line of LUND boats. Good quality aluminum boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Running a g3 also. Love it. I put that boat places normal people wouldn't dare! Easy on gas and the tow vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

I run a Ranger RT188 with a Merc 115 Proxs and its kinda the best of both worlds. You get the nice big casting deck that stays wide till the very front of the boat. And you also get the shallow water capabilities of a tin boat. The wind is obviously still an issue but you learn to deal with it really.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a LOWE Stinger 175 and it is awesome.
    Likes windstone, Gobob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in a bass tracker pro team 170 tx with only a 50hp and I love it for bass fishing, but I don't fish tournaments and usually stay within five miles of my launch area. I long line troll for crappie in it and have no issues unless it gets to windy. Only goes 35mph or so but I can fish numerous times before filling up with gas. I don't worry about where I go, have had my motor scrapping bottom several times lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast