Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How important is it that the jig head and artificial bait hang horizontal?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How important is it that the jig head and artificial bait hang horizontal?

I notice that some ice fishermen are using jig heads with a "through head" opening for tieing onto,with a snell knot, claiming a more natural swimming action. I only fish soft water, using jigs with a ring for tieing onto, which I occasionally adjust to make it hang horizontal, especially when I'm not getting bit. But I can't prove that it helps.

So what do you crappie fishermen think?

thanks
    fair weather

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

IMHO .... if vertical jigging it might make more of a difference, which is why many use a loop knot or clip on their jig. Me, personally ... I cast & slow retrieve with jigs most of the time, and I tie a Improved Clinch knot to my jigs. I retrieve slowly, so the line is rarely straight/taut from rod tip to jig. There's a "under curve" (bow) in the line from rod tip to water's surface, and the weight of the jig causes a "over curve" (hump) in the line underwater as it falls back towards me. That generally levels the jig, even if the knot is centered or slightly forward of center of the jig eye. I've always done it this way, and I've caught Crappie all along the retrieve ... from splashdown to right at the surface as I'm preparing to lift the jig out of the water for another cast.

To my way of thinking, the depth & speed part of your presentation is the most important part. Everything else is "fine tuning".

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I do it both soft and hard water when I jig. After every catch I position the line so the jig is level
    Likes Yodibuzz, SeaRay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught crappie with the jig "tilted" on the line and I have caught crappie with the jig "level". In my personal opinion I have caught MORE with the jig level just like a fish swims. So I always adjust the jig after a strike or bite. If you tip the jig with a minnow then it will be off level a bit but the minnow will swim level enticing the bite.
    So I would say adjust when you can or just fish it anyway you want and still catch some.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

the loop has worked best for me
    In humble reverance to the GREAT I AM! THAT I AM!

Post Thanks / Like

I have gone to a loop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    I do it both soft and hard water when I jig. After every catch I position the line so the jig is level
    I'm going to plus one on this. I think it's important just like pushing the skirt back up. If the jig is balanced at the eye then a loop knot is good.

Post Thanks / Like

Vertical jigging keep it level!
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use a easy clip or snap clip on all my jigs during the soft and hard water seasons. This makes for fast jig changes and the jig hangs at a 45 degree angle when not moving.

Post Thanks / Like

It's imperative while vertical jigging.
    Likes Badgerloader LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast