Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun being retired

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fun being retired

I read on this forum about guys wondering what retirement was like. I have been retired 22 years in April.If you are retired and can't find anything to do.It is because you are not looking for something to do. Some people have to have a paycheck. Whether you are 25 or 75,you are not promised tomorrow.You can go fishing when ever you want and don't have to fish in bad weather. My motto "if it not fun, I don't want to do it". My wife ask what I am doing tomorrow? I say:The same thing I did today she says: You didn't do any thing. I say: BUT I DIDN'T FINISH....When I go fishing, I can try different things ( if I catch fish it's icing on the cake". I enjoy just going and being surrounded by God's wonder and soaking up every moment.(we never know when it is our last) I have caught my share of fish over the years and give away the ones I catch to those who can't go or just love to clean and eat them. Yes, getting older has problems that I didn't have at 25 but the feeling of appreciation is a wonderful trade off. Anyone that is able to retire don't put it off you will never regret it........ Have fun and pause to give thanks for the great opportunity...........crappie1133
    Likes chaunc, RMGeorge, z520tom, Mikie, kyjohn, RogerA, kycreek LIKED above post

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Like 1133 said, anyone that get's bored after retirement is just plain lazy. I retired at 65 and 10 months. Wish I had done it in my 20s. The lifestyle really fits me. (Retired July, 2008)
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm turning 66 this January, promised my employer another 9 months of labor til he replaces me. He thinks I'll stay on forever but I'm ready to retire now. The misses is 3 years younger and our medical is thru her employer. I know I can find many things to keep me busy around the house and want to volunteer to help the unfortunate as long as it doesn't interfere with hunting and fishing. Hope I'm not selfish by saying that.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 73, been retired 5 years. My standard advice for all is, "If you ever get a chance to retire, do it. You'll never be sorry you did."
    Likes z520tom LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Got 4 more years to go!!!!!!!!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I retired so I could concentrate on getting the garbage to the road for pick up. This is important!
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Tn Johnboy, RMGeorge, stormcloud LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I retired so i could have some time and money for myself for a while. Spending time and money now on whatever i want to. Been retired since May 2007 and lovin it. Wishing everyone a happy and enjoyable retirement.

Post Thanks / Like

I know everyone's situation is different but due to a merger at my company, I "got" to retire when I was 61. About a year after my retirement, I went to our city manager's office and volunteered my services for any position where I could be useful. I was quickly appointed to the city Planning Commission and have served on that commission since. I strongly believe government at all levels depends on active citizen participation. I urge everyone who can, volunteer in your local government. You can make a difference!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer

RMGeorge is offline Louisiana Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I retired at 56 after 33+ years with the same company. Now I don't know how I ever found time to go to work. Every chance I get I'm spending time with grandkids...hunting, fishing, gardening, whatever. At the end of your life you won't care if you missed a few more years of work, but you would be sorry if you missed spending more time with your family.
    Proud member of Team Geezer!

The grass withers and the flower fades, but the word of our God shall stand forever.
    Likes PawPaw Gene, "G", "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I had planned to work until age 60, but due to several mergers, my company (Ma Bell) offered some early buy out incentives to reduce headcount. I found our all my friends that I had worked with for the past 30 years were leaving so I crossed my fingers and bailed with them at age 57.
    My wife and I had dreamed about living and traveling full time in our Motor Home, so we sold our house, which was way too big for just the two of us, put things in storage and took off. It was a wonderful 5 year experience and we visited family and friends all over the USA. We built a smaller home about 7 years ago and sold the MH in 2012, but still have many fond memories and many friends that we made along the way.
    We don't have a huge mansion and drive fancy cars, but we are debt free and feel very fortunate to have been able to retire earlier than I ever dreamed. I agree with others that you should not wait too long that you don't get to enjoy it while your health is still OK.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast