Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: summer

Post Thanks / Like

Default summer

do yall fish for bluegill during the hottest parts of summer also. im trying to figure out what im going to do when the crappie bite slows down. i may just take a break or fish for cats or bluegill. here in bama it may be best to sit by the pool and think about fall.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Summer

Summer here in my part of Florida is too hot and the fish don't respond well except very early or very late in the day. Its really the off-season down here. Catfish might be a good idea though late in the evening .
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

I fish for them year round. They're usually in deeper, cooler water in the summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Bama - I find here in Arkansas that summer is the time for bluegill. I agree with Dixiie...early in the morning and late in the afternoon is the time the bite is really on hard, but I've found that all through the day in spots I know they are spawining are or certainly "there" they will bite like crazy for 20 or 30 minutes the it stops abruptly for sometimes 20 minutes..sometimes a couple of hours, then the bit is on again for a few minutes. I do better in summer than any time.

Post Thanks / Like

they bite like crazy here in the summer...I always find them in the shades under a tree...

Post Thanks / Like

I get big gills out off the river in the summer on tubejigs or grub with a triple rip tail, fishing 1/8 oz jigheads over 6'-12' FOW, letting it sink all the way to bottom is when stike happens, or with in the 1st three bounces. :D And the secret flavor saver. Sometimes they pull the flavor off for a sample until I can re-bait and get it back out there for another bite. There always out the deep outside of the weed beds or edge of the sandy, stumpy, rockie edges.
    Fish on!
    Last edited by camofish; 12-14-2006 at 06:09 AM.
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman
    NAFC Life Member & field tester
    Take a child fishing today, for smiles that last a lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like

Summer here in AZ. Its bluegill in the morning,Float tubin. Crappie at nite boatin.Thats all summer long.

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Northern Michigan we actually get some of our largest gills in the middle of summer. We are usually searching deep water structure such as humps with weeds or weed beds in the 10 - 20 feet range. Often we find them suspended in 20 feet plus open water. Our bait of choice is usually a live leech or leaf worm on a tear drop, or a micro jig and various soft plastics. A lot of our waters can be extremely clear so light line and a very subtle approach is a must. In our stained impoundments we use 6 - 8 pound line and larger jigs or live bait so that it is easier for the fish to find.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Bama647, We usually wade the creeks around here during the summer, and catch easily 100 gills, and bass. Sometimes catch a few crappie, and ocasionally a pike. The water is always cool, and the fish are always hitting!! You ain't that far from me, when summer rolls around you'll have to meet us somewhere for a little fishing!
    Kevin Taylor
    20XD Bullet