PDA

View Full Version : Got my new Terrova today

Shad
11-25-2014, 08:42 PM
I just unboxed my new Terrova 80. What a monster. The shaft is 60" long. I hope this bad boy is not a pain to install. Good thing I went to college. The owners manual looks worse than my old Physics book. lol. I am going to have to just look at it for a few days. I have my Ranger at the shop being tuned and getting the choke fixed.

Alboy79
11-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Congrats.

Kenlake slab
11-25-2014, 09:06 PM
Congrats! I just installed my terrova a couple of months ago, 45 inch shaft. Not to hard to install, drill a few holes and wire up plug. I did mine by myself but would've been easier if someone was there to help hold it a couple of times. I am very happy with it, hope all goes well.

chucktx
11-25-2014, 09:12 PM
congrats...your gonna love it!!!!

kyjohn
11-25-2014, 09:29 PM
A good friend of mine just installed his and said it went on with no problem!

Shad
11-25-2014, 09:58 PM
I have a question. In the manual there is an insert sheet saying you can only use a MinnKota alternator type charger or it will damage the Terrova. I don't know what an alternator type charger is. I do have a Minn Kota onboard board charger. It is a MinnKota 315 with 3 banks. It is hooked up to to the cranking battery and the two deep cycle batteries. The insert says that most chargers connect the deep cycle negative posts to the crank/starting battery negative post and could cause a short. Again, my charger is hooked up to all three batteries in my boat. Is that a problem?

Rees Guide
11-25-2014, 10:26 PM
Just unplug it when you come off the lake and it wont matter.
Mounting is easy and you may want to put a quick connect plate and base on it while you are at it if you use a cover, have to take mine off the front to put my cover on.

Joe
11-25-2014, 10:49 PM
where did you find the best price for your motor?

flycaster
11-26-2014, 10:48 AM
If the holes in the terrova mounting plate does not align up with the mounting holes on the boat, just make a template of the mounting holes from the old trolling motor, transfer markings to the mounting base of the new motor and drill the clearance holes. This will eliminate the need to drill any new holes onto the boat.

skeetbum
11-26-2014, 05:14 PM
If the holes in the terrova mounting plate does not align up with the mounting holes on the boat, just make a template of the mounting holes from the old trolling motor, transfer markings to the mounting base of the new motor and drill the clearance holes. This will eliminate the need to drill any new holes onto the boat.

What he said. Use stainless hardware too. Also make sure that it will deploy and not hit the rub rail. My PD looked funny mounted where it had to go, but it clears.

kingkrappie
11-26-2014, 09:12 PM
One word my friend, YouTube!!

Shad
11-27-2014, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I am going to install it today if I can get away from the family, lol. For sure tomorrow.

LittleJohn
11-27-2014, 08:40 AM
If you haven't any dealings with a electric mount,make sure you extend the plate out over the boat edge,enough for the motor to come out in straight down. On my ranger it sticks out pretty far over the edge.
LittleJohn

Anchor Man
11-27-2014, 12:51 PM
You'll love, I have the same motor with the 60" shaft and I don't know how I did it without it, great tool.

Dutch552
11-27-2014, 03:33 PM
I have had a 60" Terrova on my Javelin bass boat and now have one on my 20' Triton mod-v. The easiest way for me to position the motor prior to drilling holes has been to power it up and deploy the shaft and then you can move the base around to determine the proper clearance from your hull to the TM shaft. Then I tweak the storage position by rotating the base so the stowed motor won't impede my front casting deck.

I unplug my power cord when I get back to the ramp so my charger won't have any effect whatsoever on the electronics of the TM when it is plugged in. I just get into the habit of plugging it back in when I prep to launch at the ramp.

Gobob
11-27-2014, 08:53 PM
You'll love it

SlabPappi
11-28-2014, 10:19 AM
You Will Love That Trolling Motor. I Have The Exact Same Charger And TM And Have Not Had Any Problems

Shad
11-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Got it mounted. Only issue is how to run my Lowrance hds transducer cord. Yes it has the built in transducer but I am not hooking it up to my Lowrance HDS 7 because I want the downscan. The way it lowers in to the water doesn't allow for strapping the cord on my trolling motor shaft like I had it on my cable steer motor. Any suggestions? I am taking it to the lake tomorrow and will figure out how to run the cord. Also, LittleJohn was right, the Terrova does stick out a ways on a Ranger. Can I add another 1/2" to the boat length when someone asks me how long it is? LoL

jimp
11-29-2014, 06:59 AM
Unless Lowrance has changed the diameter of the 'ducer wire, you will just have leave it loose down the shaft due to the design of the TM. I had a Lowrance for the TM when I got my Terrova, so I got a HB, and you can then do the disassemble the TM and glue the wire into the shaft recess and thru the main mount mod, and it works good. HB wires are slightly thinner and will work. Check out the thread for mounting 'ducer to Terrova thread for details

shadboy
11-30-2014, 03:20 PM
youre gonna love it

Shad
11-30-2014, 08:31 PM
I took my Terrova out today and really loved using it. However, I picked a rough day to take out for the first time. There was really high winds today. I only spun it around a few times. LOL. I would have had no chance with my old trolling motor. The only thing I don't like about the Terrova is that there isn't a good way to mount my Lowrance HDS transducer that has down imaging. The US2 on the motor doesn't have down imaging capability. The setup I have has too much wire hanging due to the way the Terrova shaft slides through the bracket. The HDS is too big of a diameter wire to run it along the groove of the Terrova shaft like a lot of people do with the smaller Hummingbird wire. I have searched the net and there isn't a good way to run a HDS without having the large slack amount of wire dangling. I guess we have to wait for Lowrance to design and make their wire smaller in diameter. I will keep it the way I have it until I hang it on a brush limb or something and rip it off my motor. Then I guess I will have to use the US2 on my Terrova with no downscan.:banghead Any new ideas on the big wire Lowrance transducer mounting?

chucktx
11-30-2014, 09:53 PM
what I did on mine was to use a small diameter bungie cord. I made a large loop in the ducer wire then hooked between the loop and head of the motor. there is still the long wire, but it is not dangling.

Joe
12-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Would like to see a picture of that set up. Been thinking about getting
a xi5 or terrova, but want to use my current depth finder.
Joe

what I did on mine was to use a small diameter bungie cord. I made a large loop in the ducer wire then hooked between the loop and head of the motor. there is still the long wire, but it is not dangling.

basscatcher89
12-02-2014, 02:08 PM
From what I have been told the head on the terrova pops off real easy then you slide it all the way out of the mount run your cable and slide the trolling motor shaft back in with the wire in the groove. I haven't done this to mine yet but a buddy of mine has and he has bird electronics and still had to do this.

chucktx
12-02-2014, 09:40 PM
@joe and tncrappiebass......I got called away from the house this am and didn't get the pics. I will get them tomorrow.....

Shad
12-03-2014, 06:42 AM
From what I have been told the head on the terrova pops off real easy then you slide it all the way out of the mount run your cable and slide the trolling motor shaft back in with the wire in the groove. I haven't done this to mine yet but a buddy of mine has and he has bird electronics and still had to do this.

Problem is that Lowrance HDS transducer cord is too thick for the groove and won't pass through the collar bracket. Hummingbird cords work because they are much smaller in diameter and fit the groove.

chucktx
12-03-2014, 08:53 PM
here are some pics of what i did.......180851180852180853180854

Shad
12-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Now I understand what you are talking about with the bungie cord. I will play around with trying that this weekend. Thanks

Joe
12-04-2014, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the photos.
Joe

chucktx
12-04-2014, 09:52 PM
I hope they help....any questions just ask.......

skeetbum
12-05-2014, 03:56 PM
I drilled a hole in the web between the motor and shaft and tie wrapped it. From there it hangs free til you get just below the head. Make a 1" loop from a tie wrap that is around you TD wire, then tie wrap the loop to the shaft just under the head. Then wrap the wire into the TM pig tail wire and leave just enough slack so if it wraps it wont ruin the wire. It sounds easy and I'll get pics when I can. Check out my pics of my side image mount i made in the mechanics / boat rigging section.

lahotwood
12-14-2014, 12:31 AM
I followed a video on YouTube to mount mine. The transducer wire runs down the groove in the shaft, silicone holds the wire in place and there is no need for loops or loose cable. Works perfect. Looks complicated, but it is very simple. Two people make it a much easier task also.
Love mine. Good Luck.

Install Humminbird down imaging transducer to Minn Kota Terrova ipilot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G54WQVtErZ0

CrappiePappy
12-14-2014, 06:10 PM
I followed a video on YouTube to mount mine. The transducer wire runs down the groove in the shaft, silicone holds the wire in place and there is no need for loops or loose cable. Works perfect. Looks complicated, but it is very simple. Two people make it a much easier task also.
Love mine. Good Luck.

Install Humminbird down imaging transducer to Minn Kota Terrova ipilot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G54WQVtErZ0

That's the problem ... tcb does not have a HB unit, he has a Lowrance unit that he's trying to mount ... and its cable is bigger than a HB unit's cable, so it won't fit in that groove.

... cp :kewl

Gomer Snerd
12-14-2014, 08:16 PM
wait til you're pulling 6-8 bandits and you spin it around.