PDA

View Full Version : Free Lowrance X50DS Sonar

Cane Pole
11-23-2014, 07:41 PM
I just removed this unit (11/22/14) from my Jon Boat. I am upgrading the Jon to HDS.

This is/was Brenda's "looker" . She needs the bigger screen.

The unit is in good shape and is gray scale.

I am following Skeetbums lead on this. Tell us why you are someone you know needs it or is a beginner. Be honest is all we ask. This unit is not a top of the line sonar, but it is very effective unit.

Post here for who, what. and why. No pms please. We will pick winner Friday 28 November.

skeetbum
11-23-2014, 08:53 PM
You are THE man Tom. Good unit for someone.

chucktx
11-23-2014, 08:54 PM
very cool deal you are doing......good luck!!!!!!!

Joey Clark
11-23-2014, 09:20 PM
That's awesome

Cmj
11-23-2014, 11:08 PM
Cool idea! There is a thread going on the Arkansas board right now that was posted by a newbie. This is what he had to say:

"Hey all, I posted a few weeks back thanking everyone for helping me learn to catch my first mess of crappie. Since then I've been reading and returning to the water trying to sharpen my skills, but I've got to admit I've been stumped the past couple trips and could use some advice from the more experienced here.

How are you all locating the fish when they're deep above or in brushpiles without fish finders? Or do you?

I've read many of you posting saying they're 8-10' deep now around or in brush piles, but for the past several trips I've been unable to successfully locate any of these 10' or so fish schools on any of the Central Arkansas lakes. When the fall bite started and they were chasing the shad up into the creeks, I could manage to sit around the old creekbeds and catch plenty thanks to many of the tricks I read here.

But now that the temps are cooling off and they seem to be more submerged in the brushpiles, I'm having trouble finding them to hook. I also kayak fish so moving around a lot isn't an option - I can generally only cover about 5 miles on a good day.

So what's the trick, or am I just over thinking this? I see the fish attractors out on lakes like Overcup and Cargile, but nothing I throw near them works. Is it literally sitting on top of the brush and dropping in the jigs or minnows? Those can't be 10' deep if they're exposed above the water, can they?"

I would respond to his question by suggesting that he invest in a depth finder. Since one is available here, I think he would be a great candidate for it.

Here is a link to his thread
Another newbie question: finding the fish without electronics. (http://crappie.com/crappie/showthread.php?t=295408)

Cane Pole
11-24-2014, 09:06 AM
Great.

Here is the link for the X50 manual in pdf.

http://www.lowrance.com/Root/Lowrance-Documents/X50DS_0151-431_032106.pdf

Billbob
11-24-2014, 09:18 AM
great deal canepole

Rmoore
11-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Just got my first boat about 6 months ago. Didn't have any electronics on it, bought it used. I go to TABLE ROCK all the time. Trying ti figure out where the fish are. I don't have any idea as to how deep the water is or where any structure might be, but I don't give up. It's nice to be on the water and away from the rat race.

Someone is going to be a very happy camp.........errrrr fisherman when they get that deal.

Michigan Man86
11-25-2014, 08:19 AM
Giving is a fantastic mindset to be in. Whenever i switch out rods, reels or just going through tackle i don't use anymore my thought is to always set it aside and tune it or clean it and try to find anyone who would like to try fishing but just doesn't have the budget for the gear. For me and my fishing situation i have a small handheld unit that is good at giving a depth and it kinda shows fish but can just as easily be weeds. Its a nice compact unit that takes double A's made by hawkeye. I usually research depth charts and look for where structure is based on that depth contour then try to locate it by looking at the shoreline and depth but it is mostly a try, try again approach. I like the portable because it is easy to transfer from my 15 foot aluminum boat to my kayak. Though i have to go slow in the boat for it to properly show depth, it does however shoot through the hull but it does not register fish/weeds unless the weeds are very thick.

NIMROD
11-28-2014, 08:37 PM
Way to go sir!

Cane Pole
11-28-2014, 08:45 PM
The winner has been notified and the x50 shipped. I have more stuff that I will be giving away. I don't need the stuff and it could be used by someone here on c.com.

chucktx
11-28-2014, 09:17 PM
very cool cane pole!!!! you are the man!!!!!!!!!

skeetbum
11-29-2014, 09:34 AM
If you come up on an extra Terrova please keep me in mind. LOL

wilbur
11-29-2014, 03:55 PM
I could use a touch 12 iffin you find one in the back of a closet somewhere

kickingback
11-30-2014, 09:15 AM
Who got this? I don't see any posts of anyone requesting it like you posted?:dono

Cane Pole
11-30-2014, 11:58 AM
It is up to the individual to come forward if he/she so desires. My gift is at my discretion and is my secret.

Billbob
11-30-2014, 12:42 PM
ME NEXT :fingerdance:woohoo:fingerdance

shadboy
11-30-2014, 03:05 PM
same unit on my boat

Cane Pole
11-30-2014, 05:46 PM
ME NEXT :fingerdance:woohoo:fingerdance

Yours is at the lake. Come git it.

Billbob
11-30-2014, 07:04 PM
real soon :biggrin

chaunc
11-30-2014, 08:14 PM
I'm coming too. See you in april.

Cane Pole
12-01-2014, 10:05 AM
I'm coming too. See you in april.

OK. I 'bout got the Jon boat ready. Weather holding me up on wiring.

Fellows
12-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Who got this? I don't see any posts of anyone requesting it like you posted?:dono

I was the lucky recipient of this very generous and nice gift. I posted a thread a week or so ago on the Arkansas board asking for help finding the fish without electronics, as I've just started getting into this hobby (crappie fishing, not fishing in general) and was having difficulty doing so when the fish went back into the main lake and creek channels after the fall gorge up the creeks. I simply wanted some advice from the more experienced members on how they were locating the winter-stacked crappie when you can't see what's under the boat - I wasn't expecting to be gifted something to help me accomplish this, I was completely prepared to just be told "get back on the horse" and keep covering water until you find them.

I gotta say, I'm still incredibly taken back by just how awesome this board is. As a newbie who was raised on bass and coldwater release trout fishing, but never spent a day chasing crappie and is trying to learn the ropes, the information and support here has incredible. I only hope that sometime, maybe soon, I can repay everything. It's been a goal of mine in recent years to - successfully - fish for crappie, and just in a couple short months I'm well on my way there.

Thanks everyone.

Billbob
12-02-2014, 06:36 PM
ENJOY

kickingback
12-03-2014, 09:52 PM
That's Excellent!!!

billyoungb
12-04-2014, 04:25 PM
These people on this site are so nice.

Billbob
12-04-2014, 08:13 PM