Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 4 yrs in a row at lake oz

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 yrs in a row at lake oz

I've Been coming down to lake oz every thanksgiving for 4 yrs in a row now. Always do real well on the docks around the glaze bridge where our condo rental has been. First time were bringing a boat. I figured the weather might be nice again this year but I don't think so. Anyhow, plan to fish docks with jigs and minnows from a boat for the first time. Usually we fish from the docks straight down along side the docks.

So my question is this, I don't own a slip bobber and don't know how to use it if I did!!! What would an amateur do from a boat fishin docks.
    Depth, types of docks or any direction would help out.
    PS can you bring the warm weather back!!!
    The fish you release may be a kids fish of a lifetime!

Post Thanks / Like

Slip corking has become one of my favorite ways to fish bc u can keep the bait in the strike zone for so long and reach places in the dock that u cant reach by pitching jigs and dropping straight down. You have to have a longer pole I recommend a 10 foot with a stiff butt section. CrappieMaxx, Same Heaton, and BnM Brushcutters are all good choices. I also like braided line bc there is no stretch. When slip corking there is always slack in the line so the braid really sets the hooks well. Also with braid u wont get sawed off on the docks and boat lifts and it is stronger for yanking the bigger fish out. The best bobber stops I've used are the Rod n Bobs at Wal-Mart, they have a thinner thread and go thru the eyes better, and I rarely used the beads that come with them. Make sure you really tie them tight so they wont slip, and with the braid u wont have to worry about creating line memory when adjusting your stop. I like cigar slip corks and some oval shaped slip corks and use a 1/4 oz round sinker tied about 8 inches above my hook. Just tie the sinker on with an ordinary overhand knot. I do not like split shots bc they do not stay in place and tangle. The 1/4 oz sinker is heavy enough to quickly get your bait to the strike zone but not so heavy that it takes your cork under. Also allows minimum resistance for the fish to take the cork under. I only use #2 Aberdeen hooks, I've tried other hooks like the rotating ones and they do not hold the fish very well. I usually fish anywhere from 5 to 15 feet deep, and target larger docks or ones that are close to points, bluffs, channels, brush, condos, etc... The bigger fish will mostly relate to the docks and not the brush, and prefer the darker water. Seems to me the bigger fish will be higher in the water column. Hope this helps I will post a pic of my slip cork rig.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the rig I use with a minnow. If you have a jig id use a very small sinker or no sinker and would prob not use the cigar style float bc it mite not stand up.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome you guys I'm gonna give it a try!!!
    Likes springhillwantabe LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

late 70's spent 3 thanksgivings down on the loz snowed in twice mother-in-law said no more it was great

Post Thanks / Like

Lil Baby fishing is a good way to keep the jig in the correct area for a while till the fish come and get it. Don't forget to try some dock shooting. There are many videos on youtube that will show you how to do it. If you have multiple people in the boat it becomes a game on who can shoot there jig in an area that you can cast too. It is exciting when you shoot it inbetween the insulation of the dock and get a nice slab. You really need some bright line so you can see that twich in your line when the fish hit your jig. Good luck and don't be surprised if your boat freezes to your trailer like Lil Baby had his. It's going to be cold so don't forget to bring a little propane heater along to warm your hands at times.

Post Thanks / Like

All sound advice but don't forget to tightline brushpiles in 10'-15' range pin oak cove is close to where you will be staying and there is alot of brush in those depths we were in there last week and caught fish on every pile we hit very few big fish but several solid 11" fish,blue ice and chartreuse sparkle with a pink head was best.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Not familiar with pin oak cove any way you could give me some direction to it. Pm or on this post

Post Thanks / Like

I love to slip bobber fish! BUT- I use mono since t is slicker and slides through the bobber easier. I also use 6.5 foot rods and pitch the set with a pendulum type underhand pitch. I use a split shot weight heavy enough to pull the line through while not causing the bobber to sit too low in the water. You'll find the sweet depth after adjusting and find the sweet spots in the dock area. I did really good using this method on Smithville about a month ago- using minnows, but jigs work well also. I use the rubber bobber stops with a bead.

Post Thanks / Like

Pin oak is between the glaize bridge and pb2 in the state park if you come under the glaize bridge going up the glaize go straight instead of making the corner toward pb2 it is a long cove with only one small dock near the mouth.Look for brush(we have 30+ in pin oak) in the ranges i mentioned especially on points and you will find fish.

p.s fish the back in those deph ranges at times there are big fish back there this time of year.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie