Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: HELP My crappie vanished

Post Thanks / Like

Default HELP My crappie vanished

I went fishing Wensday. I checked all my winter fishing structure. Not a crappie to be found. Last year this time they were thick. The water is lower this year. The same structure I was catching fish on last year was 45 to 50 ft deep this year they are from 20 to 30 ft deep. The lake I fish has very little structure if any deeper than that. I am assuming they went deeper but no idea where to start looking for them. The water temp dropped to 51 degrees in the last cold snap we had. I dont think it will drop alot more very soon. Temps here back to normal 50s. Any help at at all will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks John
    Some folks fish to live. I live to fish

Post Thanks / Like

What temp was the water when you caught them last year? Is there high barometric pressure? Is there any wind? All these factors are to be considered if you want to duplicate last years catch. The water being lower may affect them as well. How low is it? More than a foot or two can change the fish locations.
    Since you have structure and have caught fish there before I would start by scanning the area close by and see if there is any deep "staging" areas the fish are holding in. They may be close to the structure but not on it due to the temp and wind pushing bait fish around. Use you sonar and scan up to 300 ft in all directions around the structure.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

15-20ft less water than last year is a major factor to be considered. If it was slowly lowered, the fish will slowly back away from the receding water line. But, if it was quickly lowered, the fish will go to the deepest water they can (with the best temp & oxygen content) and they may be in a negative mood for awhile ... at least until things stabilize.

They may also bury deep into the cover that's in water depths with survivable conditions. And they may just as easily be found suspended in schools out in open water, or even in shallow water cover. One thing is for sure ... they didn't leave, so they have to be out there, somewhere. I'd concentrate my "searching" efforts on whatever/wherever the food source is that they use. Find the food, then fish the closest cover available. The food can't survive any better than the fish, so wherever the food is ... the fish will be in close proximity.

... cp
    Likes ShilohRed, hunter LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys
    The water temp last year was mid 50s so it was a bit warmer.
    I'm sure they moved deeper. I never had time to search as I should. I wine be back fishing till after thanksgiving . I will find them . I looked some deeper around the structure and checked quite a bit of shallow structure. Non there then. From all I've read here the winter fishing can be very good. This will be my first year fishing after thanksgiving. I am
    Looking foreword to tuning them in. One thing I do have in my favor is persistence. I will find them.
    Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

One more question ? How deep do crappie go? There is some 70 plus feet areas in the lake. I've never looked there. I need to do that to check on perch. Haven't got to that yet but never gave crappie much thought at those depths.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdustsavage View Post
    One more question ? How deep do crappie go? There is some 70 plus feet areas in the lake. I've never looked there. I need to do that to check on perch. Haven't got to that yet but never gave crappie much thought at those depths.
    They "can" go as deep as the dissolved oxygen content of the water will allow. Whether they "will" or not is up to them ... and whatever food source is available.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Looks like it's hunting season HELP My crappie vanished