Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Braids for Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Braids for Crappie

I know there is info in old threads 2007 etc. How many have tried the newer and now smaller # test braids. What brand and size do you use and do you use a flouro leader with the braids. I'm just getting into crappie more as I get older and being a bass tournament fisherman I feel like I need to cast for the crappie and like to cast and feel the tick or see line jump. ...Thanks for all opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Power Pro Super Slick 8, no leader.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
    Power Pro Super Slick 8, no leader.
    +1 here
    If I dont ask its my fault for not knowing

Post Thanks / Like

Nanofill 8lb.
    Likes crappie24 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use Fireline Crystal 2# test for my main line with a 3' section of 4# test fluorocarbon (abrasion resistance and toothy critters) connected with the Alberto knot. Easy to see, casts great and reliable. Have been using this combination for several seasons now. No problems, no worries.

In the lighter tests, I would definitely NOT use Nanofil. If you search this forum, you will find posts indicating what fragile line the 2# test really is. However, I have used it in the 10# & 12# tests with no problems. I just prefer Fireline which has proven reliability, over the last couple of decades.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I am a 100% braid fisherman for Crappie, Walleye, and Bass....have used braid for it's strength since Spiderwire first came out...always without a leader!
    My favorite up until last year was Daiwa Samurai....soft, no waxy gunk, small, and strong.
    Now I use Seaguar Smackdown Tourney braid....smaller than anything else with the same test rating, soft, supple, and strong...and I do not notice abrasion!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    I use Fireline Crystal 2# test for my main line with a 3' section of 4# test fluorocarbon (abrasion resistance and toothy critters) connected with the Alberto knot. Easy to see, casts great and reliable. Have been using this combination for several seasons now. No problems, no worries.

In the lighter tests, I would definitely NOT use Nanofil. If you search this forum, you will find posts indicating what fragile line the 2# test really is. However, I have used it in the 10# & 12# tests with no problems. I just prefer Fireline which has proven reliability, over the last couple of decades.

Of course the 8lb works fine too. I have never used anything smaller or had any problems but have seen were other have.

Post Thanks / Like

I did the same as you are, was a bass fisherman for years, but age, back and shoulder issues brought me to crappie full time about 15 years ago. Anyway I use Power Pro Super Slick 8 and like it a lot so far. I use the 10/2.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the bonehead braid for 2-3 years. That is all I use year round, clear water no leader. 12-2 I think is the size 12# test I am sure of.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

I notice some folks say they use the Power Pro Super Slick Braid. Why the slick version over the regular Power Pro? This Okie is just wondering.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast