Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some pics to share

Post Thanks / Like

Default some pics to share

These are a few pictures from my trips to Webbers falls this September that me and my cousin Jason caught. that I'd like to share. we never came home with less than 23 lbs. of fish fillets in our two day trips.we did catch 79lbs. in one of our trips. We got to get out there again and have some more fun.

Last edited by grubby; 12-12-2006 at 08:44 PM. Reason: didn't work
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

Post Thanks / Like

some nice chunky looking channels there. WTG
    What size tackle, hook, line, rod, bait did you take those pigs on?
    And did you guys get those in the daytime? Most of my catfishing is at night.
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman
    NAFC Life Member & field tester
    Take a child fishing today, for smiles that last a lifetime.

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice cats!

Post Thanks / Like

most were blue's. I used my bass rods most of the time lol. with 2/0 catfish hooks, berkly 10lb XL,2oz sinkers. all were caught with fresh shad netted from the river. we caught most early up til noon and then in the late afternoon till 9:00 at night. we started using some fishing noodle jug lines the last couple of trips. but did better on rod and reel. My wife was nice to me and bought me a Bill Dance catfish collection rod and reel. so I could quit using my bass rods on my next trips. Shes a heck of a woman been married to her for 21 years and she lets me fish any time I want.She says I could have worse habits lol. She gets on me for not taking more pics of the fish so i'm going to have to get better at that,but when your having fun fishing you forget about the darn camera.
    Last edited by grubby; 12-12-2006 at 10:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Dem are some nice kittys!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Hey cook them are not to bad either lol! nice cats!
    Last edited by grubby; 12-12-2006 at 10:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks grubby, sorry about the channel referance, I see now that they are blues. Up here in NY we don't get blue cats, but I've caught a few as a kid down in VA then I lived there and visited.
    In the spring up here in NY, I like to hit the river bank right before dark and fish up till about midnight if the bit is slow and onto 1a-3a if the bite is hot.
    I use chicken liver on a snell baitkeeper eagleclaw 1/0 most of the time with about 2-4 bigg sinkers. Every time I use less than 12# mono, I get break-offs. I've got an 8-1/2' medium noodle stealhead rod that is fun as heck when your fighting river cats on. :D I caught more on the liver, so I do, but can get the larger ones but fewer on the cut bait.
    I'm all about tug of the line so I just stay with the livers, messy, but produces like crazy.
    Thanks for sharing, I'll hook you guys up with a few of my kitty pictures, in the next few days.
    Fish On!
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman
    NAFC Life Member & field tester
    Take a child fishing today, for smiles that last a lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like

Cured liver isn't near as messy and stays on hook well.
    Spread fresh liver on a screen or drying rack,not touching each other.
    Coat with kosher salt,I like to add a little garlic.Set in sun for 3-6 hours,turning occasionally.Or put in oven with a pilot light(gas) or lowest setting(electric) leave the door cracked open.

Kinda like making jerky,just don't dry as much.
    Store in a ziplock in the fridge,last for months.

Toughens them up,will stay on hook well and you can fling them a mile...different scents can be used or just straight salt.

Post Thanks / Like

i've use liver in the past but we have an endless supply of shad in the river.When using shad some of the time it gets hit before it touches bottom and it may just be a striper thats trying to rip the guts out of a reel lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Default sweet!

Looks like you had a good day on the water. By chance, do you all do any drifting for cats? We are pretty poor as far as blues go here in s.e ks but they recently have introduced them to some of our local resevoirs and am looking forward to catching some of them in the next few years. Pretty hard to beat fresh shad for bait. Staple diet for many a fish for sure. Friend has been catching some 11-13 inch crappies and the crappies have shad in them. Thinking about trying some fresh shad in one of those bait pumps but thats a new road for me.

Anyway, congrats on the haul and hope to see more pics!!

regards,

drifter
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast