PDA

View Full Version : Cork handle question

crappie josh
11-16-2014, 05:00 PM
Has anybody ever tried rubbing mink oil on a cork handle? Is it a good idea or is it not. I was putting mink oil on my boots and I just bought a new fishing rod and I didn't know if mink oil on a cork handle would and preserve it make it last longer or would it damage it so I figured I would ask before I grab the mink oil on my new fishing rod?

deathb4disco
11-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Not necessary, IMO. I currently own two 30-year old fly rods and several over forty years old. The cork looks just fine, and I've never done anything to it.

If they get dirty, plain soap and water will clean 'em.

short grub
11-16-2014, 05:50 PM
someone once told me to use armor all. I've yet to test it

Bob/MN
11-16-2014, 06:03 PM
I coat all my cork handles with a cork sealer called U-40. On an older handle clean with soap and water or sand with lite sandpaper. Fill any holes that have developed and coat with U-40.

wicklundrh
11-16-2014, 09:09 PM
X2 on the U-40. I build rods and Bob hit the nail on the head. Soap, water and 400 grit. On a new rod just add the U-40 cork seal.

justinp61
11-16-2014, 11:04 PM
I've never worn out a cork handle, most of my rods have them.

Crestliner08
11-17-2014, 07:01 AM
I concur with the U-40. A great cork sealer. Prep any older cork with a good rubbing of Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser. Then coat with the U-40. It's simply amazing how clean this keeps your cork. Available on Netcraft.

skeetbum
11-17-2014, 09:34 AM
Never used oil but I have tried spraying urethane on one. Worked OK but it wasn't new and smooth either. I only ever did the one, would have been slick if it wasn't rough with small pits where the cork had aged and fallen out. They stay clean and I didn't put a lot on it.

strmwalker
11-17-2014, 10:02 AM
I concur with the U-40. A great cork sealer. Prep any older cork with a good rubbing of Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser. Then coat with the U-40. It's simply amazing how clean this keeps your cork. Available on Netcraft.
:hesaid X- 10 Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will get the handle looking like new then seal it with the U-40 cork sealer !!!!

Fatman
11-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Plain soap and water to clean it up. Never used anything else.

boat49
11-17-2014, 03:31 PM
I used a green scrubber pad on some of my older ones and it cleaned them right up, then put the U-40 on and they look like new. I now use it before I use a new rod.

z520tom
11-17-2014, 10:43 PM
I put about five coats of Tru-Oil on all the cork handles on the rods I build. Tru-oil is made for coating wood gun stocks. It gives the cork a very nice appearance and will protect it from getting grimmy. It is linseed oil with driers in it. Made by Birchwood-Casey I believe. Rub handle with fine steel wool between coats. Also it is not slippery when gripping.

Crestliner08
11-18-2014, 06:55 AM
I put about five coats of Tru-Oil on all the cork handles on the rods I build. Tru-oil is made for coating wood gun stocks. It gives the cork a very nice appearance and will protect it from getting grimmy. It is linseed oil with driers in it. Made by Birchwood-Casey I believe. Rub handle with fine steel wool between coats. Also it is not slippery when gripping.

I'm very familiar with Tru-Oil, having refinished several gun stocks over the years with it. Years ago (maybe 20 years now) I used it on 3 of my spinning and casting rods. After 2 seasons, the finish started to chip. I believe this was because of the flexible nature of the cork. In any case, these 3 rods don't look very good right now and I really cannot restore them without careful sanding. Something I would never do again on cork. Great product on gunstocks however. JMO! :)

z520tom
11-18-2014, 09:27 PM
I have probably 20 spinning and casting rods that have Tru-Oil on them and have been used quit a lot. I have never seen this coating chip. I have had some of it abraided / wore off by rubbing it against hard or sharp object thou. When this happens I wipe the handle with a cleaning cloth and apply more Tru-Oil by rubbing it on the affected area with my finger tip which is the best way to apply it. My 2 cents!:)

jackie53
11-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Custom Fishing Rod Building & Tackle Crafting Supply | mudhole.com (http://WWW.Mudhole.com) has a lot of good info and videos on rodbuilding and repair!! Jannsnetcraft has some good products as well and info!!

z520tom
11-18-2014, 10:37 PM
If one really wants a evaluation of using Tru Oil on cork rod handles I would suggest you go to the website " Rodbuilding.org " and do a search on " Tru Oil finish ". There are no less than 36 threads on this topic written by some of this countries best custom rod builders. Do your search under the "forum" section.

bfish
11-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Cork is bleached and dried before installation. No need for adding anything else. Cork besides being squishy, is also very porous. Any finish that you add will require quite a bit to penetrate and completely seal. I have used both U-40 cork sealer and Tru-oil and both change the characteristics, especially the outer skin layer of the cork. I don't care for either. I generally don't clean my cork, as I prefer the patina. However both fine sandpaper or green sponge scrubber works fine. I have corks tn handle rods (custom) that are 30-35 years old and the cork is fine. Also I have lesser used fly rods that the untreated cork is fine, even though they are 50+ years old.

Catman767
11-19-2014, 12:04 PM
I just treat mine with good old fish slime

rapman1
11-20-2014, 07:50 PM
anyone know what chemicals are used in making u40? as everyone in my family has had cancer, except me, i am leery about using this and i have my suspicions about anything made by dow chemical co.

crappie josh
11-20-2014, 10:24 PM
Heck I've always left the plastic wrapping on my cork handle till it wear it off or get it wet I've never even thought about applying anything to my handle until I was rubbing my cowboy boots down with mink oil lol haha

ShilohRed
11-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Started wrapping mine with a sports wrap. Allows me to hold on when my hands are not working 100%. Adds color to the rods and I put one color for mine and a different color for my wifes rods. Also I have a few AllStar rods from the early 80's that the cork still looks good and been fishing them every year.
Pete

rapman1
11-22-2014, 04:33 PM
that older cork was awesome. a few years ago, i bought a lamiglas, lower level, for steelhead. as i unwrapped the plastic from the cork, big pieces of cork came along with it. it took a year of fighting with lamiglas to even admit the problem, and they offered me 25% off of my next rod purchase to make up for it..........ya, right.

i love cork handles. wish there was a way to preserve or protect them naturally.