Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cold water hints

Post Thanks / Like

Default cold water hints

can anyone give me help in fishing for cold water crappie. went out other day no crappie but 3 large pickrel.

Post Thanks / Like

hey pwr198 . im still new at this myself but i seem to be doing something right lately because ime starting to catch more fish. ive just been targeting areas with good structure and quick access to deep water. steep drop offs seem to hold them the best to me right now. i dont fish water less than 10ft deep. just remember the fish may be in 20ft of water but only 10ft deep(those are just numbers off the top of my head) but you get the drift. ive caught alot close to the bottom lately but a freind of mine said hes been catching them pretty shallow you just have to find out where they are in your lake or stream. these other guys will help you more than me. youve come to the right place for info. if you can give more info theres probably someone on here fishing the same area as you.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Look for the ledges that have wood on them near the drop into the channel. Works on just about any lake this time of year.

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I find then on drop offs from fall to spring and also under docks all year long. Try drop offs first then try the docks. One important key is to downsize and try different colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Slow,then slower,then even slower

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cook
    Slow,then slower,then even slower
    Thats the Trick!!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

sounds to me Bama and Kid got it figured out.

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY

Post Thanks / Like

I can't really tell you anything different than what has already been stated. During both winter and summer the crappie will go to or be near the deeper water of the channel. If your impoundment is devoid of cover, they are going to suspend on or near the most dramatic change in the channel structure -- sharp dropoffs and ledges, inside bends, rock piles, etc. By the way, those places are the best places to put cover. If there is ample cover on, in and near the channel, fish it. The key is the channel. The crappie use it as a highway. The test different depths. If you get a good mental image of how the channel runs and where the cover is all along that channel, you should be able to find where they are holding for that day.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree with the rest of you. In fact just before the lake began to freeze we were catching them right at the steep drops on the main river chanel in 10 - 20 feet of water. And anywhere there are stumps or trees near the drops is best.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small and smaller

I have great success using 2 jigs this time of year on the drops. I tie the 1/16 ounce jig about 18" up the line and then use a black trout fly on the bottom. The trout fly just kinda floats along and they suck it in. Black seems to work best. Most of the time you will not feel the bite, they will just be there. Works great for me during my favorite winter fishing spots.
    Secretary of Da Fish!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast