Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling out of the back of the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling out of the back of the boat

Was wondering what angle you guys run your rods at. Do y'all run them parallel or at 45 degrees or what? Thanks

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I run a 14 ft. and a ten ft. straight out each side at the back ....then two 8 ft. straight out the back....this way I can run six rods with four ft. of separation between the lines.....this makes it better for turns when pulling crankbaits
    Last edited by "G"; 11-15-2014 at 08:43 PM.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Billbob, theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Are the rods running at more of a flat angle or are the rods more at an angle

Post Thanks / Like

Flat or slightly downward is best. Less chance of getting a wind drift with em low as possible without dipping when boat rocks.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I do things a bit different. Listen to what several say and you'll set up what works for you. My rods are 90* to the side of the boat, about halfway back. 2 of each, 12', 10', 8'. Parallel to the water. The 12's are straight out the side, 90* and have the most line out, the 10's angle back a little and are a bit shorter, and the 8's are a short cast and angled a little further yet, maybe 10* between each pair. The longer the line, the deeper the bait will run, so I have them separated by width, length and depth. Running 6 rods can keep you busy but some folks run twice that. I fish alone a lot and with everything in the back of the boat already and then me standing back there too the nose goes up, the TM comes out of the water and makes prop noise and control gets crazy. With me more forward in the boat control is a snap. Good rod holders make a difference, take a look at the Hi-Tek extreme model and see what I use. Never lost a rod yet. There are others that do the job and adapting to the rear of the boat would be a little different, and I can run 4 more straight out the back if I have a guest in the boat and pull jigs on those and cranks on the front. And it goes on and on. Have fun with it, I know I have.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GreeneGiant18 View Post
    Are the rods running at more of a flat angle or are the rods more at an angle
    The ones out the side are flat....the ones straight out the back are elevated a little
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

My side rods are flat, rods out the stern are at slight angel up, 10* to 20* depending on wind. A little up helps see bites.
    Likes tablesaw LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

When I'm pulling I run 2 12ft down rods in 0 degrees holders. Then I have 2 racks. 1 on each side of transom that I run 3 rods in each holder. Those rods are around 12in from water.

Post Thanks / Like

More parallel than 45.

Post Thanks / Like

If trolling out back you want rod tips just off top of water with two people at back of boat. Lines in back of boat need to get under water as close as they can to boat to allow fish to be fought over top of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast