Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A Review: Okuma Ultra-Lite 10 Spinning Reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Review: Okuma Ultra-Lite 10 Spinning Reel

Started using this reel after ice out this season. It's got a pretty good work out for the last 8 months. I have it mounted on a 7' Bn'M SHSS spinning rod. This reel is filled with 2# test Fireline Crystal fused line with about a 3' section of 4# fluorocarbon (for abrasion resistance and "toothy critters") joined together with the Alberto knot. Fished it with 1/16 - 1/8 oz. jigs dressed with plastic.

This inexpensive reel has performed exceptionally well for me. No problems yet - and it does get a workout, I promise! Casts beautifully with the Fireline. Very good drag. Smooth retrieve. The only drawback to this reel, that I've experienced, is the fact that is doesn't have an "infinite anti-reverse" feature. After getting use to it though, it's not all that significant a drawback. Based on any kind of limited budget, I would highly recommend this reel to anyone looking to extend their arsenal, or as a back reel.

I've also just started using a much higher end reel - the Pflueger President 6920, on a 9' SHSS. It too is filled with the 2# test Fireline. I will report on this reel next year sometime, after it gets a decent work out from me. I do hope this report may be value-added for some of you folks.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes skiptomylu LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Have heard good things about Okuma reels, but just never tied one. I have been hooked on Shimano tells for a lot of years now so don't really need any new ones. However sure would consider trying one with what I pay for these reels, but I do love the no anti reverse on theses reels and even have one less costly Shimano that doesn't have the same kind of anti reverse and I don't use it mostly because all my other reels have it and I am so use to it.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, good little reels. I have a couple but and stuck on my Quantum TE 10 PTiB Tour Edition

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree they are a great buy . have one on a 6'2" okuma ultra-lite rod . Whole set up was less than 50.00 and has been used bream fishing many hours .

Post Thanks / Like

I have 4 of the Okuma ultralites on my tight lining rods and they work fine. I also bought 6 of the Pinnacle Tiny 20 Classics and they also have been a pleasant surprise. I was not sure how I would like the multi rod setups so I did not want to drop a fortune on rods and reels. To my surprise, the Pinnacle managed to land a 5# Striper and a similar size catfish. One of our sponsors, Fish USA, sells both these reels at an excellent price.
    Pinnacle Tiny 20 Classic Ultralight Spinning Reel : FishUSA.com
    Orders over $30 ships free too, so that saves a few bucks.

I also have 3 of the Pflueger President reels and we are talking apples and oranges here($50+ vs. $13 to $15). The Presidents are butter smooth and well built to handle heavy use. I have one of the smaller ones on a fast taper graphite rod that I use jigging spoons for perch and stripers, knowing it will handle anything I am lucky enough to hook.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men