Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 2lb Test

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2lb Test

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death and I have read some of the threads related to it. I'm going to try three different 2lb lines in the near future.

P Line Xtra Strong Copolymer CXXFG-2 2lb

Maxima Chameleon MOC2 2lb

P Line CXX Xtra Strong CXXC-2 2lb

Found a deal on these lines at fish and save dot com since I was cleaning up on tapered leaders for my fly rods I though I would toss in a few spools of 2lb. Besides it makes pretty good 7x Tippet.
    Anyhow I was fishing at my local lake marina (Paradise Point Smithville) and currently have Berkley Sensations 4lb spooled up on my Sahara 750FB mounted to my 6 foot G-Loomis GLII.
    There were three of us fishing the same jig and technique over the same brush pile I was catching 3 to 1 fish compared to the other fellows. I was using 4lb they were using 6lb. It was remarkable
    on my hook up rate. I'm figuring 2lb would work maybe better. The GLII has a pretty forgiving tip so I don't think 2lb would be too light for the rod. Now lifting the fish up to the dock may be a problem.
    I've caught some pretty big trout on 7x tippet with my fly rods so I'll report back in a couple of weeks my results.
    I'm thinking of rating these lines on stiffness, durability, memory and knot strength on an unscientific basis just my personal impression.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ICEMANXXXV View Post
    I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death and I have read some of the threads related to it. I'm going to try three different 2lb lines in the near future.

P Line Xtra Strong Copolymer CXXFG-2 2lb

Maxima Chameleon MOC2 2lb

P Line CXX Xtra Strong CXXC-2 2lb
    The Maxima and the P-line CXX are "true" 2# lines, and are very thin. The Maxima is .12mm (.005"), and I believe the P-line CXX is even thinner.

I'm not familiar with the P-line Xtra Strong, but I suspect it's "extra thick" and breaks closer to 4#.

As with any line, I pay more attention to the diameter than the breaking strain printed on the box.

Post Thanks / Like

P Line CXX .0052 dia

P Line CXXFG Copolymer .0052 dia,

Maxima Chameleon MOC2 .005 Dia

Post Thanks / Like

They all sound like 2# to me. I was going from memory on the CXX, so I have it confused with something else. I had one 2# line that was .10mm, or about .004".

I don't recognize that second P-line. That's not the same as Xtra Strong, is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it's the extra strong.

Post Thanks / Like

I mainly consider line tests by what I'm trying to do, with respect to depth and speed control. We fish open water up here most times, so I use 2# test Fireline Crystal with a 2# test fluoro leader. Fishing this line on 3 of my rigs now for over 2 seasons and am very satisfied. Two are the 7' B n' M SHSS and the third is their 9' in the same model line-up. Casts well. Strong. And no issues with knots. (I use the Alberto for the joint to a 3' leader section.) The fine diameter of this fused line allows me great control with whatever weight jig I'm using and/or the depth I am fishing.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."