PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Pro Tracker 175 Crappie Question

Shad
11-06-2014, 07:15 PM
I am trying to decide if I should redo my current boat or go ahead and trade for a new one. I was thinking of buying a 2015 Pro Tracker Crappie with a 75 Elpt 4 stroke at Bass Pro. Affording the boat isn't the big problem. Biggest problem is that I have never rode in one. I wanted to test drive one but I can't do it without paying $400 for 4 hours. Bass Pro doesn't just take you to the lake to try it out. Is there anyone on the board that has this same boat? What are the pros and cons to it. I am coming from a glass boat. I want to get something smaller and easier to pull and smoother running than my 2 stroke. I am doing a lot of crappie fishing these days vs bass fishing so I want the smooth running 4 stroke vs my big old loud 2 stroke motor. Anyone have experience with this boat?

Countryboy N.C.
11-06-2014, 07:47 PM
My fishing buddy has one, no problems so far, I have a 03 targa 18.5, Bought it new, love it, Having to recarpet it now, only problem I've had.

Rees Guide
11-06-2014, 07:56 PM
We had a boat sink on Grenada in the MCC Tourney and the comment was "another 175 had sunk". they don't take ruff water good at all, and know of several that have taken over the back of them at ramps and such. Partner has a Tracker in the Tournament 190 and its a whole different animal.
Call BRM in West Memphis and take a ride in one of his rigs, bet he will carry you out without you paying 100 bucks and hour.

Tracker123
11-06-2014, 08:44 PM
I have a Tracker 175 TXW and love it. And it knows big water such as Toledo Bend, which is huge. Oh course I know it's limitations and I respect that lake a great deal. I'll never go back to a two stroke.

Rees Guide
11-06-2014, 09:13 PM
I have a Tracker 175 TXW and love it. And it knows big water such as Toledo Bend, which is huge. Oh course I know it's limitations and I respect that lake a great deal. I'll never go back to a two stroke.
Randy I think the lack of respect caused the incident on Grenada.

genec
11-06-2014, 09:30 PM
the 175 crappie boat is narrow but the 175txw is wide as tracker has mention,i have one of the 175 txw and they take waves good as expected and love the 4 stroke

"G"
11-06-2014, 09:31 PM
I heard the wind was really, really bad that day

"G"
11-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Four strokes are great....I am on my second Yamaha four stroke

sniperei
11-06-2014, 09:46 PM
I have a tracker 175 crappie model with merc 60 4 stroke. It handles lake martin al. well. A lot better than my old 1550 pro bass lol

fair weather
11-06-2014, 11:07 PM
I would pay for the test drive. You may have this boat 10 yrs. so be a wise shopper. Take it out on a day of, at least, 15 mph wind. That's the limit for me crappie fishing. Any more and I stay at home. But don't forget you could get caught in a sudden storm.

Unless Mercury is making a lighter 4 stroke, or the boat is a deep V, I would definitely test drive that boat.

I've used a PT 185 for 10 years. Modified V. 60 hp 4 stroke. Mercury. I've never been terrified in a storm but I fish a lake not especially noted for high waves (Lake Cumberland).

Take a gps and see how fast it idles (for trolling). Notice the tach at high speed.

Mine trolls at 2-3 mph and top speed 30 plus mph. Thats a fast as I want to go in rough water, but I wish it trolled a bit slower (for walleye).

I'm a four stroke lover forever. There is nothing like them, but they used to be heavier than a 2 stroke. I personally wouldn't want any more than a 60 hp. When you test it out, back troll with it to see if water rushes in the back. And see if you get wet when running with the wind and against the wind.

good luck
fair weather

okhawg
11-06-2014, 11:30 PM
I have a 175 tx, and like it, just wish it was bigger catfishing. It rides well and can handle 15 mph winds fine, as long as your not talking big water. 1/2 mile of wind across the water is a different animal than 5 miles. I would definitely get the 75. Mine with a 60 will do 36-37 tops. A 75 will cruise at 30 easily.

skeetbum
11-06-2014, 11:50 PM
Haven't been in any newer aluminum boats. However I watch a lot of them. And I talk to a lot of owners. See I came from a metal boat, in fact several, and I'm in an 18' bass boat now. I miss a lot of the characteristics of the metal boat and always entertain the idea of having another. As Rees Guide said, the 190 is a whole other animal. Take an objective look at them and I'm sure you'll agree. I was in 20mph winds last week and had to dodge following swells, and I thanked God I wasn't in one of the smaller boats that I've been fancying. Lake was maybe 5mph when I got there. Bigger, wider and more floatation in my next boat or it won't be my next boat. Point is; spend some money and time and KNOW what you're getting into.
I also like the 4 strokes. They weigh a bit more and don't work on every boat as well as we would like. Replacing my 150 2 stroke with a 4 stroke would add 80lbs to my transom. I was glad I didn't have that 80lbs last week. It has to work as a package, not just good components. The 190 with a 115 4 stroke looked to be a good package for the little I saw of it. It's wider, a bit deeper, and has lots more storage than the 175. I don't mean to be all negative, just don't want to repeat what you want to hear when I've been through this part of the process myself. Good luck with your choice, there's lots to look at and even more education.

jimp
11-07-2014, 07:17 AM
If you want to troll for crappie more than shoot docks or jig for 'em, look at the Tracker Super Guide 16 SC V bottom package, I've fished in one on 3-4 different occasions, 8-10 hrs at a time, pulling cranks with a Merc 40 4s. Very comfy boat, a bit crowded with 2, but not bad at all (move one seat up front opens up the boat a lot imo), you will need to put a trolling plate on the 40 to get down to 1.5mph or so for cranks, but the 40 4s runs like a sewing machine. You can still do other styles of fishing from the boat due to the open plan, elevated front deck for casting. Boat has the groove down the gunnel for mounting rod holders and it works great.

I was in this boat trolling CB's in a 15-20mph wind, with 1-2' rollers and some whitecaps, never felt in danger, rode good while trolling, pretty stable overall. I was surprised for a 16' boat but made a believer out of me on deep v hulls.

Shad
11-07-2014, 12:37 PM
I would pay for the test drive. You may have this boat 10 yrs. so be a wise shopper. Take it out on a day of, at least, 15 mph wind. That's the limit for me crappie fishing. Any more and I stay at home. But don't forget you could get caught in a sudden storm.

Unless Mercury is making a lighter 4 stroke, or the boat is a deep V, I would definitely test drive that boat.

I've used a PT 185 for 10 years. Modified V. 60 hp 4 stroke. Mercury. I've never been terrified in a storm but I fish a lake not especially noted for high waves (Lake Cumberland).

Take a gps and see how fast it idles (for trolling). Notice the tach at high speed.

Mine trolls at 2-3 mph and top speed 30 plus mph. Thats a fast as I want to go in rough water, but I wish it trolled a bit slower (for walleye).

I'm a four stroke lover forever. There is nothing like them, but they used to be heavier than a 2 stroke. I personally wouldn't want any more than a 60 hp. When you test it out, back troll with it to see if water rushes in the back. And see if you get wet when running with the wind and against the wind.

good luck
fair weather

Thanks, that is the type of advise I was looking for that would nudge me in to test driving before buying by either finding a dealer that will test drive one or pay the money to test drive. One problem is that almost all people selling the boat has the 60hp 4 stroke on them instead of a 75 4 stroke. May be hard to find a boat to test drive. That should tell me to stick to the 60 but I am a firm believer to always buy the max HP rating on a boat or I will never be happy and always wonder "what if". Anybody have a 2015 with a 75 4 stroke that I can ride with on the lake? Will buy you gas and lunch, LOL Thanks everyone.

Shad
11-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Ha, just realized there is a second page to this thread! More good info

Shad
11-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Haven't been in any newer aluminum boats. However I watch a lot of them. And I talk to a lot of owners. See I came from a metal boat, in fact several, and I'm in an 18' bass boat now. I miss a lot of the characteristics of the metal boat and always entertain the idea of having another. As Rees Guide said, the 190 is a whole other animal. Take an objective look at them and I'm sure you'll agree. I was in 20mph winds last week and had to dodge following swells, and I thanked God I wasn't in one of the smaller boats that I've been fancying. Lake was maybe 5mph when I got there. Bigger, wider and more floatation in my next boat or it won't be my next boat. Point is; spend some money and time and KNOW what you're getting into.
I also like the 4 strokes. They weigh a bit more and don't work on every boat as well as we would like. Replacing my 150 2 stroke with a 4 stroke would add 80lbs to my transom. I was glad I didn't have that 80lbs last week. It has to work as a package, not just good components. The 190 with a 115 4 stroke looked to be a good package for the little I saw of it. It's wider, a bit deeper, and has lots more storage than the 175. I don't mean to be all negative, just don't want to repeat what you want to hear when I've been through this part of the process myself. Good luck with your choice, there's lots to look at and even more education.

I thought of going to the longer boats but what I am really looking for is a boat where you set down in it versus the deck being so high. I have had high bass boat decks my whole life and I believe I want something different. That again leads to the fact that I need to test drive one vs guessing. just seems like it would be easier to crappie fish if you set lower in the boat. Anyone know of a crappie boat that is longer than the 175 and you sit down lower in it versus having the high casting deck?

BigKyd
11-07-2014, 03:36 PM
I am trying to decide if I should redo my current boat or go ahead and trade for a new one. I was thinking of buying a 2015 Pro Tracker Crappie with a 75 Elpt 4 stroke at Bass Pro. Affording the boat isn't the big problem. Biggest problem is that I have never rode in one. I wanted to test drive one but I can't do it without paying $400 for 4 hours. Bass Pro doesn't just take you to the lake to try it out. Is there anyone on the board that has this same boat? What are the pros and cons to it. I am coming from a glass boat. I want to get something smaller and easier to pull and smoother running than my 2 stroke. I am doing a lot of crappie fishing these days vs bass fishing so I want the smooth running 4 stroke vs my big old loud 2 stroke motor. Anyone have experience with this boat?

My grandfather has that boat, when he bought it he gave me his old Gruman 1648. The difference in ride between his boat and my boat is night and day. Say what you want about Tracker but that is a nice hull, you would be hard pressed to find a better ride in an aluminum boat.

BigKyd
11-07-2014, 03:42 PM
the 175 crappie boat is narrow but the 175txw is wide as tracker has mention,i have one of the 175 txw and they take waves good as expected and love the 4 stroke

The 175TF (crapie version) and the 175 TXW (bass version) both have 60 inch bottoms. Are you talking about the Panfish 16?

G3_crappie
11-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Do yourself a favor before you make tbe purchase and drive over to calico jacks to look at the crestliner vt17. I was going to buy new last year and after testing both the vt17 was nearly the same price and came setup with a 24 volt trolling motor already. But to your original question i like the ride in the 175. Only thing i didnt like was the width.

Shad
11-07-2014, 04:34 PM
Do yourself a favor before you make tbe purchase and drive over to calico jacks to look at the crestliner vt17. I was going to buy new last year and after testing both the vt17 was nearly the same price and came setup with a 24 volt trolling motor already. But to your original question i like the ride in the 175. Only thing i didnt like was the width.
Do they make a crappie version of the Crestliner vt17 that has a lowered front deck? I didn't see one when I googled it.

lcookie
11-07-2014, 05:01 PM
I am all for the metal boats but as stated previously I like the deep v versions. I have had the pro angler v-16 and now have the pro guide v-16. These boats are excellent for trolling and/or spider rigging. The only limitation is when you want to shoot docks. You do sit a bit higher in the water and/or the gunnel can get in the way. That being said I hate dock shooting so no big deal. I fish on Lake Lanier year round. In the summer that place is like the ocean on a stormy day. I have never had a time where I felt like the boats were too small for the conditions. They make great multi species platforms as well. I would look into one of the deep v boats as an option.

Shad
11-07-2014, 07:26 PM
I am all for the metal boats but as stated previously I like the deep v versions. I have had the pro angler v-16 and now have the pro guide v-16. These boats are excellent for trolling and/or spider rigging. The only limitation is when you want to shoot docks. You do sit a bit higher in the water and/or the gunnel can get in the way. That being said I hate dock shooting so no big deal. I fish on Lake Lanier year round. In the summer that place is like the ocean on a stormy day. I have never had a time where I felt like the boats were too small for the conditions. They make great multi species platforms as well. I would look into one of the deep v boats as an option.

Reason I hesitate on the Deep V is because a friend at work had one (sold it) and he said he didn't like it because the wind blew him around too much because of the high sides above the water surface. He did love the ride in the wind but hated trying to tight line brushpiles in any wind. Maybe he was wrong? I wanted to compromise and find a crappie boat like the pro tracker that had the front deck lowered. I will look closer at the deep V. I would definitely have to try one.

lowe rider
11-07-2014, 09:15 PM
If you are willing to consider a used boat you should look at a tracker Tournament V18 Allfish. It has a lower front deck and an open floor plan. It is a V bottom hull that is not as deep as a typical deep V. They are rated up to a 115 HP. They stopped making them in 2008.
I've had this boat for about 3 years now and really like it for crappie fishing.

2005 Tracker Tournament™ V-18 All Fish (http://www.sanramonboats.com/new_galleria.asp?veh=15187&CatDesc=)

G3_crappie
11-07-2014, 10:30 PM
They sure do it is the Crestliner TC17 or 18. I. Was sold after driving one but ended up buying a used G3 hp18 with a 75 yami that i am thinking about selling now and getting a new g3 176 vinyl or tc18.

Shad
11-08-2014, 07:24 AM
Question for Tracker Pro 175 TC crappie boat owners. Is it possible to put a 24V Minnkota trolling motor on this boat? I am used to having a Minnkota Maxxum 24V trolling motor. The one they sell on the new 2015 is the cheapest Minnkota foot control. I believe it is the edge model. I will want a better trolling motor that has variable speed for spider rigging and longline trolling.

wicklundrh
11-08-2014, 07:54 AM
I would find a local tracker dealer. There are 100's besides bass pro. I have one by me that is more than happy to test boats. In most cases, free. Prices are the same as BP because all tracker dealers are bound by the same price structure. If they don't have what you want, they can get it from another dealer. Also, local dealers are more apt to have better quality options.
I would never own another 2 stroke. You can't compare upgrading boats from yesteryear with two strokes as they were built for those motors and weight structure at the time. I've owned Mercury, Evinrude, and Yamaha and my opinion is that Yamaha has them beat.

Lastly, when I bought my last boat, money wasn't an issue. I wanted the best (for my situation). I looked at Tracker as an option and wasn't impressed. There were better built boats available for a better price. Like someone else said, look at ALL boat manufacturers. You might be surprised. I won't steer you towards one or another but, I see a ton of used trackers for sale. Owners usually bought or are buying something else.

Shad
11-08-2014, 04:24 PM
I would find a local tracker dealer. There are 100's besides bass pro. I have one by me that is more than happy to test boats. In most cases, free. Prices are the same as BP because all tracker dealers are bound by the same price structure. If they don't have what you want, they can get it from another dealer. Also, local dealers are more apt to have better quality options.
I would never own another 2 stroke. You can't compare upgrading boats from yesteryear with two strokes as they were built for those motors and weight structure at the time. I've owned Mercury, Evinrude, and Yamaha and my opinion is that Yamaha has them beat.

Lastly, when I bought my last boat, money wasn't an issue. I wanted the best (for my situation). I looked at Tracker as an option and wasn't impressed. There were better built boats available for a better price. Like someone else said, look at ALL boat manufacturers. You might be surprised. I won't steer you towards one or another but, I see a ton of used trackers for sale. Owners usually bought or are buying something else.

I am still looking but I am getting closer to buying the tracker. I just like a boat that is wide (new 15's are wide) and has a dropped front deck. I haven't found anything else that has that. Any suggestions of a few others to look at while I can? I will also keep looking myself but I am getting close to pulling the trigger.

wicklundrh
11-09-2014, 10:25 AM
Take a look at the alumacraft mod v series. Several lengths and configurations. You can get them rivited or all weld.

Dean
01-30-2015, 10:35 PM
Take a look at the Ranger RT178 and RT188 they make both in a crappie model they also make a VS 1680 and VS 1780. The price is not to bad either you should take a look.

Cray
01-30-2015, 10:52 PM
You need to give Bill a call at BigRivermarinr. A board sponsor and member here BRM. He handles Express, Excell, and just got the Ranger line. He is a Crappie fisherman and Tournament fishes out of a Express. He can and will answer your questions.

warhawk
01-30-2015, 11:59 PM
My buddy recently bought a 2014 PT175TF, I think this is what you are calling the "Pro Crappie"? His has the three seat bases up front so you can sit side by side.

I've been out in it a couple of times, great boat. The only thing I'd change is that I'd have gone with the vinyl flooring. His has the 60hp 4 stroke, perfect match for this rig. It has the new powder coat finish, that covers the entire hull, inside and out. You asked about 24V trolling motors, he didn't do that, yet, but he does have three full size batteries, so a 24v setup would work.

I nearly bought one of these boats back in 2011/2012, they have only improved since then.

cajun fryer
01-31-2015, 09:00 AM
I had an 08 175 I thought it was a pretty nice ride I never had any problems. It was pretty wide up front for spider rigging. As a matter of fact it is wider than some 21' glass boats I have been in.
The 4 stroke is sweeeeeeeeeet I really miss that.
Yes you must respect the lake I traded up to a 20' Ranger and there are places I wouldn't go with it depending on the weather.

Gobob
01-31-2015, 09:01 AM
Check out the Lowe Stinger 175 or the 190 I looked at the trackers hard , I looked at all the brands . I bought the 175 stinger with 75hp 2 stroke. It tops out 40-42 mph depending on conditions

varmithunter
01-31-2015, 09:45 AM
I have a pro crappie 175 I bought in 09 60 hp 4strk. It tops out 38mph and that's fast enough for me . Love the boat . Only problem you can't get a TM larger than 46# thrust because they go to 24V after that.

lahotwood
01-31-2015, 09:59 AM
I have the 2013 model, do not think they have changed much on the 2015. The boat is very light which makes it easy to pull and also gets very good gas mileage. With that in mind the wind also affects the boat a lot more also. I plan all my trips around the wind direction and respect the weather conditions. If you were closer to Louisiana, I would let you test drive mine for free. My only complaint so far with this boat is the bunk boards on the trailer only lasted 3 years, other than that I am very happy with mine. I love the 60 hp 4 stroke, easy starting and plenty on power for this boat. Mine will trim out at 39 mph according to the gauge.

KY Grant
01-31-2015, 07:50 PM
We have a 2014 175 TXW and have neve had a problem with it. Have had one situation that the white caps were on the water but other than that we've felt safe in it. Them white caps was also the first time we had that boat on ky lake too. Hoping in a few years I can step up to a phoenix but love our boat. Only thing I don't like about our boat is they put that front livewell in and took the extra storage bin out of it.