Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Global Warming??

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Global Warming??

Record snowfall and low temps across the nation. Including our second snow already in SE VA. What happened to the global warming?? And I thought I got away from this white stuff when I left NW Ohio. LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

when its 64 degrees on Friday the global warming folks will be screaming again
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Global stuff

Quote Originally Posted by crap-king
    when its 64 degrees on Friday the global warming folks will be screaming again
    Are these the same people that say eggs are bad for us, beef is bad, pork is bad? I am more concerned about the ozone hole at the South Pole. Might generate more mutants like Moose. HaHa
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Moose, your not going to let CP get away with that are you?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Global Warming

If you really want to know about this and are not just on a fishing expedition then check on the average depth of the Glaciers up on the Canadian Shield and see if they are growing in size or shrinking.

Word to the wise. Unless you wish to scuba dive on your newly acquired ocean front property you would be better off buying some property on higher ground.

If those glaciers in the Northern Hemisphere as well as in Antiartica keep melting and getting smaller all the fresh water melting into the worlds ocean could raise sea levels by 30 ft.

It may be accelerating as I type this.

But fear not we have always had periods of rising ocean levels and falling ocean levels in the Earth's History. But back then we didn't have as many human's living along the oceans coast lines.

Have you ever heard of the supercontinent?

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Record snowfall and low temps across the nation. Including our second snow already in SE VA. What happened to the global warming?? And I thought I got away from this white stuff when I left NW Ohio. LOL
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Naw I will have to show him the truth someday.

Are you guys aware of the Carbon cycle and how the oceans play a role in the CO2 sink?

Global warming is all about AVERGE YEARLY Temperatures not one days temp or even a weeks temp. You average those daily temps out and then take a look as how much snow stays on the glaciers over time and how much snow melts from those glaciers. These days the Glaciers are shrinking and that should show even the doubters that the earth really is ROUND not Flat.

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Moose, your not going to let CP get away with that are you?
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Took the words right out of my mouth, Moose

Temperate areas like ours are last affected by global climate change. This has happened before, just not when there were humans with the power of communication to record the event.
    Glaciers are shrinking at a rate never recorded by our species. Mt Kilamanjaro in Africa will lose its snow cap for the first time in recorded history. The Antacrtic ice shelf is breaking up and the last I heard, sea ice in the Arctic is only 5 inches thick in spots.
    The rate of melt is changing the salinity of our oceans and affecting sealife that keeps the food chain rolling.
    I'm betting that Venice will be uninhabitable within our lifetimes.

Now, do I think we're the cause of it? No, though I think we're contributing to it with our unrestrained use of fossil fuels. Massive climate change has happened before and it will happen again if our species doesn't blow up the planet first. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Default National Geographic

National Geographic Magazine had an excellent article about global warming several months back.

Here is a link to their quick facts site.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...l_warming.html

The picture below's caption is:

Early light strikes mountains in Montana's Glacier National Park. When the park was created in 1910, it had 150 glaciers. Today, due to melting caused by warming temperatures, there are 30 much smaller glaciers in the park.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I agree with you Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    Temperate areas like ours are last affected by global climate change. This has happened before, just not when there were humans with the power of communication to record the event.
    Glaciers are shrinking at a rate never recorded by our species. Mt Kilamanjaro in Africa will lose its snow cap for the first time in recorded history. The Antacrtic ice shelf is breaking up and the last I heard, sea ice in the Arctic is only 5 inches thick in spots.
    The rate of melt is changing the salinity of our oceans and affecting sealife that keeps the food chain rolling.
    I'm betting that Venice will be uninhabitable within our lifetimes.

Now, do I think we're the cause of it? No, though I think we're contributing to it with our unrestrained use of fossil fuels. Massive climate change has happened before and it will happen again if our species doesn't blow up the planet first. - Roberta
    W have not been here long enough to have that kind of impact, but we do contribute. During the last Ice Age, the earth's temperature average only dropped 3 degrees. I read that somewhere. The sun is burning hotter, and hotter as it ages. This seems to be overlooked. I still think our greater concern is the hole in the ozone and how to fix it. I read an article about how some of the simple cell aquatic life forms in the Anartic have mutated.Can't remember where I read it either. ha

Mt. St. Helen put more pollutants in the air when it errupted, than all the cars in the world. Need to add this too
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 12-28-2004 at 04:15 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Historical Geology studies the earth's past and that includes the ocean levels

While at Purdue my senior year I took a cource in Historical Geology. We studied the continental drift theory and the effects of glaciation on the Earth. We studied the oceans and their historical levels as determined by geologist.

If you have ever been up on the top of a mountain in North Caroline and wonderred how those sea shells go to be in the rock up there then you should study historical geology. If you can't take that course then just remember this. That mountain top may hav eat one time been at the bottom of an ancient ocean basis. The limestone bedrock in IN definatlly was an ocean bottom at one time.

You guys are absolutely right that the oceans have risen and fallen over the past 4 billion years and mankind didn't have anything to do with it. But the living organisms during those times may have had some effect. To what degree is hard to tell. Tom is right in that our sun being a yellow dwarf will someday extingish and burn up all it's fuel and die. He said that he read that the sun is burning brighter these days than in the past. Well that could be true. The sun is the one true source of energy on earth other than the earth's core which has plenty of heat. Our earth's crust has cooled down some since the earth was formed but the core and mantle is still very hot and molten lava sits just a few miles below the earth's crust.

I don't get all concerned about Global warming that much even though I do agree that mankind has speed up the process. But until the ocean's start rising so high that they get to Southern IN I am not going to be building any arks. LOL

The earth has a way of cleansing itself and it will still be here long after mankind has vanished from this earth.

If you think in Historical Time or Geologic Time as the hours, mins and seconds on a 24 hr clock then we (mankind) have only been here for about 4 to 6 million years which would only be about two seconds on that 24 hour clock. When you think of the dinosaurs being here for 200 to 600 million years it makes our time on earth pale by comparison. And some say that the dinasaurs are still here. They claim that the birds are what is left of the great dinosaurs. Watch a robin hunting a insect and then think of T Rex hunting it's dinner Jurasic park style. Or watch an eagle hunting a snake or a rabbit.

Dinosaurs had hollow bones and raised their young in nexts. Watch a bird hopping around on the ground and then think about the T rex doing that same walk 160 million yeara ago.

The fourth Dimention is TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    W have not been here long enough to have that kind of impact, but we do contribute. During the last Ice Age, the earth's temperature average only dropped 3 degrees. I read that somewhere. The sun is burning hotter, and hotter as it ages. This seems to be overlooked. I still think our greater concern is the hole in the ozone and how to fix it. I read an article about how some of the simple cell aquatic life forms in the Anartic have mutated.Can't remember where I read it either. ha

Mt. St. Helen put more pollutants in the air when it errupted, than all the cars in the world. Need to add this too
    Regards,

Moose1am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast