Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trading motors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trading motors

I have a 2005 Ranger 185VS. It has a 2 stroke 150 Yamaha VMAX on it. I love the motor other than the cold start and rough idling at a slow mph for side imaging, etc. A friend has a 4 stroke on his and it is smooth and quiet and starts like a car. That is what i want but buying a new Ranger is just too many dollars to justify for me. I want to trade from a 150 2 stroke to a 175 4 stroke. Any one have experience doing this? Where is the best place to buy a motor like this and get it installed? I live in the Nashville, TN area. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Weight is gonna be an issue, bet the 175 4 banger will weigh a good big more than the 150 you have now. May be wrong but for sure something to look at.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

Just have to go to some dealers and see what they quote you for doing what you want done. The cheapest is not always the best. Could try and sell your 2s on CL and then go from there as well.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

C&O does a lot of things like that. If nothing else it would be somewhere to start. The 150 mariner I have ('88 model) weighs in at 400lbs. If the figures I have found are correct the Yamaha 150 4 stroke tips the scales at 480. In my boat, everything is in the rear of the boat and the extra 80lbs just seems like a lot of weight to an already heavy area. Your Ranger might be laid out a little different. If I went to a 4 stroke I would have to consider a 115 hp in an attempt to keep the weight down.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

id stay with what ya got. 2stokes = years of no worries.

Post Thanks / Like

You can pretty much figure on spending around 20K for a dealer to repower the boat.......... only you can decide if it's worth the investment.

Are you 100% positive the yamaha is tuned right and has no issue's?

Both motors have their pros and cons........ A four stroke will require more routine maintenance .........
    Three can keep a secret................If two of them are dead! (Benjamin Franklin)

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 150 Vmax 2 stroke same as you. Cold start after a week of not running, fires off within 5-10 seconds, even below freezing temps.
    Idles smooth at 3.2 mph.
    I have contemplated going to a 4 stroke, for gas savings and lower noise level. Decided I would just use it til it developed a bad problem!
    Have you had a tuneup lately?
    Not sure where you live. May be way colder than here in Oklahoma!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

tncrappiebass................ hard cold starts and rough idling is a symptom of a leak in the low pressure fuel pump.........Do you notice a oily film behind motor when idling?

Think I remember reading somewhere yamaha even did a recall on those pumps.
    Three can keep a secret................If two of them are dead! (Benjamin Franklin)

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would give the 150 a tuneup vs the 175. Those are good motors and should be doing better. But the 4s motors are nice. A F175 only weighs 15# more than a 150 2s. You'll probably only pick up 2-4 mph. The motor is roughly $13000, plus install. Depending on the hours on your 150, you might get 25-35% of your money back.
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post