Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat Carpet replacement option

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Carpet replacement option

I am looking to get a project boat and was thinking about using the textured deck paint instead of carpet. Any thoughts? I saw it at home depot and looked like it would work like the new vinyle surfaces. Or if anyone else has any other new ideas vice carpet.
    GO VOLS AND TITANS!!!!!

Swampseed is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard lot of duck hunters like "Hydro-turf".

Post Thanks / Like

I can't decide what to do myself, my carpet is about gone, too. I dread doing it, but got to do something soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Carpet replacement is not that bad. As far as using so sort of roll on or spray on stuff do some research, a lot of that stuff comes off pretty easy if not done rite.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The have some new roll on stuff they been advertising for decks. I've been wondering how it would work on a boat. Can't remember the name of it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I used Tuff coat with a roller on my aluminum Xpress. I seen a boat done that used a texture ceiling paint gun rented from Home Depot that really look good. What I like is not having all the fish slime to clean out of carpet. I fish more days than not and IMO carpet just wears out to soon.
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

You really can't beat a good carpet for the boat. Not only does it provide a better look and comfort for the feet but it also provides a quiet footing in the boat. This is especially true in an aluminum boat. The carpet dissipates the sound and makes it easier for you to get closer to structure without spooking the fish all the time. Have you ever seen a fancy bass boat without carpet? Ever wonder why?
    USAF Retired and fishing!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Carpet isn't that bad to redo if you don't overthink it. pull the old, scrape what you can and grind (gently) the rest of the residue and start putting in the new. Don't cut the corners on the hatches straight down the corner. Cut an angle from the point of the corner on a 45* and wrap the other and cut it to match, then glue and final trim. The roll on stuff is hard to get the prep right. I've seen a bunch of it peeling like a bad sunburn. Buying good carpet to install helps some with the job, and the price difference isn't that significant IMHO. Weldwood contact cement is what we used at correct craft and it stayed put. Smear lots of glue on both sides and apply and leave it alone til it's dry. If you use it like contact is designed you are gonna hate yourself somewhere thru the job. Once it sticks you're done. Getting used to the idea of doing it is most of the hard part.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kickingback View Post
    Have you ever seen a fancy bass boat without carpet? Ever wonder why?

How about a Ranger....doesn't get much fancier.
    Name:  ranger.jpg
Views: 5471
Size:  11.8 KB
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I know that you never see carpet in saltwater boats and they fish really shallow water without spooking and the ranger that was posted looks like a saltwater version. I have done carpet replacement before and no it is not hard but it is time consuming. I just figured that this deck and boat dock paint would work just as good for about the same cost and hopefully last longer.
    GO VOLS AND TITANS!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast