Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo Bucket Type

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bamboo Bucket Type

Hi,

Has anyone tried to make the bamboo bucket type condos with pvc?...What I mean is put short pieces of pvc in the concrete at the direction you want the bamboo and just slide the bamboo into the pvc....I have about 13 10 ft pieces of 3/4 inch conduit pvc in the back..That was given to me...I checked and the bamboo shaft does fit into the 3/4 pvc...I think you could probably just drill a hole through the pvc/boo and secure it with a bolt or screw etc...

I am going to make some this way...Just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make them with the pvc?...

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye
    Last edited by jcd; 12-10-2006 at 11:31 PM.

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie sets

Hey Jeremy if I was you I would use the bamboo and the pvc in seperate buckets to get more sets. I have used both and they work great. You might as well get as many sets as you can out of the materials you have.
    Just a thought.
    Crappie X.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Check our posts under mondo condo -- I've come to believe simpler is better. Screws will split the bamboo. I don't know for sure, but I would also bet at some point the screws would rust out, pull out of the PVC, or the bamboo would get loose.

Toss your bamboo in the bucket, pour the bag of concrete mix in there & drown it & you will have a good solid condo with minimum effort.

I've also learned (with the "star" condo) that it takes more concrete than I thought to sink bamboo! All my buckets sank just perfectly, but I was out there messing with trying to tie a rock to that one & never was really satisfied with it.

Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Thanks for all the tips...I really want to make the orginal bamboo bucket type condos...The thing is....I am not sure if I can find something to haul them in?...Plus, making them at the lake isn't an option...So, I guess I will have to find something to haul them on..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, find a buddy with a big, big , big trailer cause big condos will span 10 to 12 feet wide easy. I have dropped some longer than my boat, so they are least 22 feet tall. It is pretty easy. Get a buddy who loves to fish let you borrow his trailer for a few days. As you make the condos, put the buckets all the way to the front of the trailer. Then face the boo towards the back. On a 16 foot trailer I can usually carry eight or nine and that is loaded to the max. Use a tie down strap and go from rail to rail across the trailer. This will decrease the amount of Boo hanging off the side of the trailer going down the road thus decreasing the amount of cussing you get from innocent motorists for tearing their mirrors off going down the road. Once you get to the ramp, pull the trailer down the ramp and take all the boo off the trailer and put it right next to the ramp. NOT ON THE RAMP, but beside it. Put the boat in and do most of the heavy work getting it into the boat. If your buddy doesn't have a GPS, let him borrow yours if he wants to in repayment for helping you with all of this. This stuff isn't difficult. No need in making it that way. BOO is hard work, but sure is fun catching supper off something that I know that I made and put down for structure. As mike saw the other day, nothing really to it. Just pick it up, sit it over the side and drop it. I grab a stalk on the way down and hold on to it just to make sure we have quit drifting. The one pic you can see, I have the BOO in one hand and my GPS in the other. I mark it right as I let go of it. FATBOY Oh I forgot to add. Most of the time I carry 3 condos at a time. Sometimes 4 , but most of the time 3. The other day I had 3 on and I had to get to the right side of the boat because I couldn't see through the jungle.
    Last edited by fatboy; 12-11-2006 at 07:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing, unless I am wrong please correct me. Boo is hollow, but it has chambers. At each "knuckle" there is a wall. Boo floats because each of these chambers hold air, so I don't think pvc will slide into the Boo stalk because of these walls. My opinion. Like I said, I might be wrong, but I do know for a fact if you put dried Boo on a fire, sounds like the fourth of July from all the chambers blowing apart. FATBOY

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I am visualizing on this.
    Cement the 3/4 pvc at various angles in the bucket with a couple inches sticking out, then slide the Boo INSIDE the pvc and screw (probably with a stainless screw) through the pvc into the Boo to hold it in. then you can just load the cement blocks and the Boo will lay much flatter for the trip to the water and assemble them when you get there. If this is what you are talking about, it sounds like a good ideal to me and it should work well.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jlaughlin,

That is exaclty what I mean...Because, I don't have the trailer or access to one to haul a few at a time....I think my idea will work...Just will be a little more work.....Fatboy is right on the boo..It does have knuckles every so often on the boo..But, I think I fit about a ft of the boo into the pvc....It should be a enough in the pvc to drill and secure..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

Post Thanks / Like

Where's the best place to locate some bamboo?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I would say near drop offs or on drop offs....Points and creek channels...I am sure someone will explain it better or have more tips for you..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast