HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finding Brushpiles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finding Brushpiles

I know there are a lot of crappie experts on this site so I need a little help. I am a bass fisherman trying to turn in to a crappie fisherman. I still have a lot to learn to be able to do it consistently. My question is what is best way that you use to accurately find the brush piles you have marked? I still have trouble finding them. Today I fished in 12-16' of water straight lining with a single pole/jig in brush piles. It wasn't pretty even in the calm water. LOL. I have some pretty good depth finders. I have the Lowrance HDS7 touch control units. They are very easy to use to mark the brush piles. I have marked plenty. But they only let you zoom in so close to the way point that you have marked so it is hard to find that brush pile in that very small cone from the transducer. I am not sure how close the way point actually gets you to brush pile when it looks like you are on top of the way point. Any pointers on best way to find a brush pile with a way point? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a point 1?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by point 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Use your split screen to view your gps and side scan simultaneously while you are approaching your wpt. When you get close, start watching your si to locate the brush. If you see that it is 20ft to your right, then toss a buoy 20ft to your right and circle around. Switch to di/si split screen and scan to see how the brush lays in relation to the buoy as you circle it. Also check to see if it is holding fish. If so, drop your lines and start fishing. If you dont see fish, move on. Sometimes I will do this with multiple brush piles before I find one that I want to fish.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to nail the waypoint by driving over it each time. Sounds like you are using the Internal antana on each graph. The internal is fine for the bow unit, but you really should have and EXternal antana above the transom. If the console unit is using the INternal antanna it will be off by about 8 or so feet (distance from ducer to graph) , because the ducer is on the transom or builge area, and this is what is marking,, the antanna is forward of the ducer. If using EXternal antannas you need to go into each unit and see what antanna each unit is reading. There will be a silver tag on the antanna wireing with numbers. Make sure that unit is reading that antanna. It would help knowing how you have each unit set up.
    The point 1 antanna is the fastest real time update antanna available. The internal antanna updates at 4 seconds and using the 2000 or 3000 antanna makes it difficult to find waypoints at very slow speeds such as using the TM.

When we are fishing in 10' or more we drive right over the waypoint and toss a buoy just over the side knowing the brush/stumps is on the right or left of the buoy, shut the motor off, using the Tm to turn the boat around around and start fishing. Being at this depth or deeper the motor wont spook the fish at all. If we dont see the fish we wont drop a buoy and go to the next waypoint.
    Last edited by brushnjigs; 10-27-2014 at 07:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

A good hand held will put you right on top of it, thats what I use, a etrex legend. Never have trouble finding my brush piles, got 200 marked now.

jigfisherx is online now Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem I found when I started out was not finding the bp but fishing it. I like to put marker buoy just up wind of the brush then use that as a reference point. Your front graph and your rod will tell you where to fish then just try to stay in the area where you find fish.
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.
    Likes DRPEPPER LIKED above post

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The best brushpile finder ever!! Is the A-Rig(alabama rig)!!! Then mark it with a bouy!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

I like jigfishex's reply. I will add that it makes a difference in the water level fluctuation. If the lake has dropped 10 foot since you made the waypoint, then the sattle lights will think your triangulation is 10 foot above your current position. That is when you skills as a hunter with your depth finders will shine. I like to mark my positions 3 or four times just to know I am in the right area. DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post
    Thanks speck chaser thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tncrappiebass View Post
    Sorry, I don't know what you mean by point 1.
    The Point 1 is an external GPS antenna with a built in heading sensor. You will get a faster refresh rate on the gps plus the unit always knows which way the boat is pointed. With the heading extension turned on there is a line projected on the map screen indicating where the boat is pointed. Line up the heading extension on the waypoint and drive straight to it. IMO this is a great addition to any HDS unit, well worth the $200 costs.

Lowrance Point-1 GPS Antenna - LOWRANCE | Marine Electronics

There is a lot of information here.
    BBC Boards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast