Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Frustrated

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frustrated

I mainly bass fish but was marking Sooo many crappie yesterday in 15-25 fow. 65* water and wind was blowing towards the dam at one end of the lake. Couple guys on the dam were killing Bluegills on worms and a bobber shallow. I was about 100' from shore.

Tried certically jigging with different plastics and rigs. 1/8-3/16 jighead with 1.75 swimbait. 1.75 fluke, plastic cricket, 1.5 curly tail grub. Also tried a dropshot with 1/4 oz sinker.Fish were just stacked from slightly off the bottom to about 15'. Wind made it a little tough to get the light bait vertical to where I wanted it. Couple nibbles but no hookups.

I switched to a tiny Kastmaster spoon and was able to get a few. They were very small at about 6".

I have 8# braid on my ultra lite. It is 1# diameter and like thread. Is this causing fish to not bite? Next time I will try some 6# flouro leader.

As a bass fisherman I am not a huge fan of color differences. I know you crappie guys swear by its important.

Thanks...Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Great effort anyway! The "pecks" you were getting were most likely bluegill. It's doubtful that the size of the braid was your problem. Although, I personally use lighter braids than that. I would also not be too concerned about color - until you locate the crappie and the bite goes off.

Of paramount concern, however, is depth & speed control. With the water temps in the mid 60's as you say, the crappie should be transitioning toward the shallows, IF that's where the bait is headed. Find the bait and then experiment with depth & speed control. You will find the crappie. After that, color may become a factor.

Did you mark any decent bait balls? How do you know what you were marking were crappie? It's difficult to determine sometimes. I found that out when using an Aqua-View, in conjunction with my sonar, while bass fishing. Sometimes perch reflect similar characteristics on your sonar. Bluegill and large bait could be what you are looking at on your graph as well. Just a thought.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Is live bait legal in your state? If so, it would definitely be worth trying a small minnow slightly off the bottom. Try rigging a couple of poles drop shot style, or rig some double minnow rigs and slowly troll through bait/fish that you are marking on your ff. This is typically my method for fishing over 15-20ft. Also, try downsizing your jigs. 1/32 or even 1/64 if need be. Put a slipshot about 12" above the jig to get it down there.
    Last edited by Cmj; 10-25-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I think with out the wind I might have done better. I threw a marker buoy and that helped as they didnt move much. I caught 5 and all were small Crappie. Might have been some BG mixed in but they should hit similar baits, right?

As said I usually just bass fish but carry the UL for times like this. So I dont carry live bait. I dont eat fish and let them fo anyway.

I make bass baits and these lil guys too

Last edited by MonteSS; 10-25-2014 at 06:09 PM.

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The shad imitation would do the trick. I use Bobby Garland Baby Shad a lot, and they have more colors than you can imagine. A 1/8 and the braid tied direct would do for the vertical, and the same body and a 1/32 for the cast and drop. Dead sticking once the light bait has gotten straight down also works better than any movement, and I dead stick the 1/8 most of the time. 2' of depth when vert jiggin can make a difference. If they aren't hitting and you think you are at their depth, take a half a turn on the reel or pull another foot or two deeper. Drop to the bottom and raise 1 turn, then 2, then 3. If they are active you will seethe difference quickly. As I told someone earlier in the week, I was taught what was then called the "pitch and glide". Pitch to your target, close the bail and take a turn on so on the reel, and raise your rod tip to about 10 or 11 o'clock,and just let the jig fall. Watch the line for anything you didn't tell it to do. Keep in mind that if they hit from underneath (liftbite) your line will fall to the water. Set the hook from the wrist as these hooks are needle size and it doesn't take much. Strike King Shadpole in crystal color has worked well for me lately also. Good luck with it, just start another box for the Crappie plastics, you're gonna need one.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around