Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New to crappie fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to crappie fishing

I am new to crappie fishing. Im looking for some guidance in Tyler, TX. Any advice on where, when, how to find the crappie?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am by no means a crappie killer......... But This works with most any species, get a good lake map and study it......patronize your local bait shop and ask general questions.........If you support their business they should tell you basic info like they are bunched up in cover in 15-18 ft of water or they are out in front of secondary points.......Etc.

Then you can study the map and figure likely area's...........Talking to other folks at the landing may get you some intel........ it just takes time and leg work on your part.

Fisherman are historically tight lipped ( pun intended)........but as the same fisherman see you more and more at the launch they may well help a little more.

Also I almost forgot........ search the net for fishing reports, look on you tube for video's of fishing on your lake.........the more info you gather the more you are able to build a working plan........
    Three can keep a secret................If two of them are dead! (Benjamin Franklin)

Post Thanks / Like

Frequent the bait shops that have a little breakfast bar, look for an older fella that has a beat up ole minnow bucket. Have a seat near him and tell him the truth. Tell him you'd like to learn how to catch crappie and that you'll buy his bait and breakfast if he's willing to share. Its worked on me before
    Everything is possible. The impossible just takes longer!

Post Thanks / Like

SS has the right idea. Any variation of his plan involving old guys in old rigs should net positive responses. We are just not as nervous about sharing knowledge as most younger fellas. We have learned that there are plenty of fish out there for everyone and more water than we will ever be able to cover. And we believe in karma- what goes around comes around.
    Likes slabseeker1 LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

C.A.T. Crappie anglers of Texas. Might be a good start also. The best teacher is time on the water . You get questions when you go and seek answers when you get home. Somewhere you will find someone to share and learn with, probably when you least expect it, but you have begun in the right place. Welcome from Middle Tennessee. Ernest Paty had some videos that are made in Texas and would help some also. The fun begins........
    Last edited by skeetbum; 11-13-2014 at 09:31 PM.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I just found the Williams Creek Crappie Club on Lake Fork. They just finished a "Crappie Academy" last weekend. I went and learned a bunch. Also joined the club. Seems like a great group. I live in Lindale, TX. You might want to check them out at their website William's Creek Crappie Club | Crappie fishing on Lake Fork, TX.