Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the best bobber stops to use?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What are the best bobber stops to use?

I've always used the thread type but they start to slip after a dozen or so fish are caught. This past weekend I tried the ones on the left of this pic and they slipped on my first crappie I caught. I'm using 8lb test line. Anyone know of a good stopper that won't slip? Many years ago I remember my Dad tying rubber bands to his line, what a pain.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I use the ones on the left, but have never had slipping trouble

Post Thanks / Like

I use the string type on the right but I wet the strings before pulling them tight, it gives it a better tighter hold

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using slip bobbers for a while and my favorite tie is a piece of black button thread . ( 99 pennies at the big box) I make a loop and hold it up to my line with the ends going the opposite direction. Then I take the right tag line and wrap it around the line and through the loop 4 times. Holding both ends of the line I pull it snug. This will form a knot on the line similar to the nail knot but easier. Trim the ends and be sure to wet the knot before you slide it. I use 8# Suffix (green) and EagleClaw bobbers . Had 14 crappie yesterday and the only way they would bite is with a bobber and minnow @14 ft.The button thread is coarse and it doesn't slip.
    Last edited by ifish; 12-10-2006 at 12:51 PM.
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ifish
    I have been using slip bobbers for a while and my favorite tie is a piece of black button thread . ( 99 pennies at the big box) I make a loop and hold it up to my line with the ends going the opposite direction. Then I take the right tag line and wrap it around the line and through the loop 4 times. Holding both ends of the line I pull it snug. This will form a knot on the line similar to the nail knot but easier. Trim the ends and be sure to wet the knot before you slide it. I use 8# Suffix (green) and EagleClaw bobbers . Had 14 crappie yesterday and the only way they would bite is with a bobber and minnow @14 ft.The button thread is coarse and it doesn't slip.

It's matter of opinion, I like the one that ifish use.
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Post Thanks / Like

After trying several other types of stoppers I've gone back to the knot type. To make them last longer and easier to tighten up, tie an overhand knot in each tag end about a half-inch from the nail knot and pull them tight before trimming the tag ends off about another 1/8th-inch past the overhand knots.

That keeps the tag ends from fraying and gives you something to grip to re-tighten the knot as needed. If you hold the nail knot with your finger/thumb nails to tighten them it will damage the thread and cause them to deteriorate a lot faster.

If they seem a bit loose when I'm adjusting for depth I'll snug them up a bit by pulling on both tag ends. I use 8-pound Berkley XT and I don't have any trouble with them slipping.

If anything, I've had more trouble with getting them too tight, which makes them difficult to move and can cause them to burn the line if you move them too far too fast. It's best to get the knot and the line good and wet before moving the stopper up or down the line. They usually last me a month or two using them nearly every day.

I prefer Thill's bobber stoppers because they are made from smaller diameter thread than the others I've tried, which makes a smaller knot, which slips through the eyes on my rods better. I use Thill Pencil Floats and they have such a small hole that I don't even use the beads that come with the stoppers.

While I'm on the subject, another thing I've started doing recently is beveling the edge of the hole in the top of my slip floats. I just insert the tip of my scissors or the tip of the tooth on my split ring pliers in the hole and rotate the float putting firm pressure against the scissors or pliers until the hole is a bit larger at the opening and beveled at about 45-degrees rather than sharp.

This does three things:

1) Makes it easier to get the line started in the hole when threading the float on the line.

2) Lets the line slip through the float easier and faster.

3) Keeps the line from wearing a groove at the edge of hole in the top of the float, which can cause the line to hang up more.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the string type too and been tying them like Jerry said. Its never been a problem and easy to retighten when necessary. Like everyone else says, wetting them first before pulling tight really helps.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I've had better luck with some brands thread stops and worse luck with others. Jerry, do you have a link for where I could buy Thill's bobber stoppers?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

You can get them from several on-line stores including Lindy Fishing Tackle - http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/ta...roductid=17738 - but we've been getting them at our Gander Mountain and I think they were 5 bux for 50 the last time I picked some up. BPS and Cabela's probably have them too.

If you want to purchase them on-line, put "Thill Bobber Stops" in a Google search and find the best price with shipping.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I'll have to try the button thread when the high priced stuff I bought from BP runs out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast