Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12" tight line poles

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 12" tight line poles

I'm going to buy 2 more tight line poles and would like to try something new. I have 2 WM tight line specials which work fine but before I get 2 more of them I thought I would look for suggestions. BnM (BGJP 122) doesn't give you enough info (like lure weights) so I can't tell if they would work or not. Any suggestions?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Wally Marshall Signatures are my favorite. They are realy great rods especially for the price I know of a few higher end rods, but the price jumps into the hundreds.... So I choose Wally Marshall's rods.

I don't care for B&M's (regular jig poles) rods they are too flimsy and break easily. I have bought the Silstar jig poles, which in my summation are identical to B&M's, but less than half the price. And I will purchase more of the 12-14 footers if I get another 11-16 dollar a pole deal.

Like I said the Wally Marshall's are my choice of the two, but B&M's Sam Heaton Signature rod is very nice. I will be purchasing one in the near future. They also are priced right and are of very good quality. I'd say Sam and Wally are tied for fishability, but Sam has it with style and comfort.

To sum it up I saved $10 by using the Wally and want to "upgrade" to the Sam Heaton Signature. As far as I can tell the rods fish them same. Very similar feel... so up to yah....

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...mCat=CROSSSELL
    Last edited by stumpbumpers; 12-10-2006 at 11:50 AM.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have several of the SH poles and they are great but won't hold the weight I want. The WM tightline specials are rated ¼ - 1 oz and do a fine job. Just thought of trying something different but same ratings or close to it.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Shakespeare had a 9' crappie rod out last year I was going to purchase several for trolling... now I can't find them and I called the company and they said they had them, but couldn't sell them over the phone... anyway knowing the way ugly sticks are made I figured they would be excellent trolling rods, as that is what they were designed for, but can't find any through their distributors...weird...

Anyway sorry for not really helping, but when I say troll I mean spider rigg'n or slow troll not like the trolling you are doing. I do "tightline" but with the 5-7ft rods.

By the way the rod you would probably need is the B&M ProStaff trolling rod to answer the question about the BGJP being able to do what you need .... I'd say no... those are the rods I said are flimsy.... The Signatures have a little more back bone.
    Last edited by stumpbumpers; 12-10-2006 at 12:10 PM.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Check out BNM pro staff rods. They were tested using 5oz sinkers. I use them for tightlining and they work great. Go to www.bnmpoles.com
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

I hope to see them in action soon. Clark hill here we come
    CVA62.....64-68

Post Thanks / Like

Bill........try Monk's Crappie.com, I think he has what you are looking
    for. I beleive it's the same rod that drill instructor mentioned in the above
    post. I don't think you will beat his price anywhere else. I have bought
    from him, he is a nice guy to talk to. If you ask he may cut some off of
    the retail price......Billy
    PS..I have been told that the one with "Bucks" on them are a better rod.
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drill instructor
    Check out BNM pro staff rods. They were tested using 5oz sinkers. I use them for tightlining and they work great. Go to www.bnmpoles.com
    You must be refering to the PST 122 model. Where did you find the info on how they were tested?
    Never mind, I found it. Are they light in weight? (elderly gentlemen have to consider that) LOL

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I own a 12' Sam Heaton Super Sensitive by BnM and a 10' Wally Marshall Pro Series. I really like them both. My opinion on the two is. The Heaton is a tad more sensitive than the Marshall. Yet the Marshall is much more durable. If you want the best of both rods. Try an 11'6" Browning noodle rod in the six rivers series. I wish Shimano would come out with a long crappie rod.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bill,

I have two pro staff trollers but they are 16' and are a bit heavy but good in a rod holder. BnM also has the new Capps and Coleman rods and I don't know the difference between them and the pst rods. If you are looking to use some serious lead then they are the way to go. I am thinking about getting a couple of the C and C rods 14' long to spread my baits out away from the boat more. I have BnM graphite jig poles, Wally Marshall's 10 and 12 footers, a silstar, two pst rods and several cabelas jig poles made by BnM. I like the cabelas poles the best so far if I have to hold one in my hand but if I stick them in the holder, the pst rods are the best because of the heavy rod and sensitive tip. It's a tough business trying to pick out the perfect pole. thats why I have so many different kinds. Once I figure out which one I like best for spider rigging, I'll probably yard sell my other ones and go all to the same pole. I like useing a set up where everything is the same. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast