Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody casting a 8 or 10 foot spinning rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody casting a 8 or 10 foot spinning rod

I am looking for a longer ultralight spinning rod to use for trout fishing, well crappie and panfish too. While I have several now the longest is 5' 6" and casting range is limited. I have seen several that are 8 - 10 feet and was wondering if anyone here has used a longer rod for tossing small (1/32, 1/16 or 1/8oz) jigs or other lures. We have several stocked ponds and reaching the trout on a short light rod is proving to be a challenge. I usually fish with 4 lb flouro on a spinning reel but would consider braid to increase casting distance.
    Can anyone give an estimate on how much further each foot of rod will help in casting distance?
    Likes Slabs4Dinner LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My main crappie rods are 7' Shakespeare Micro-lites with Pfluger Trion reels, they do a great job. I have a 9' Mr. Crappie rod that I will cast jigs with at times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigEdCT View Post
    I am looking for a longer ultralight spinning rod to use for trout fishing, well crappie and panfish too.
    Check out the 8.5' or 9' BPS Microlite Float n Fly rods or a light steelhead rod. I've used both, and they work great.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 7' Ugly Stick Pro Lite I use with a Shimano symetre 1000FG reel and it casts real well with 6 lb. line, have another buddy who's using the new Shakespere Micro series rods and really likes them and they have one that's 7' 6". He got his at wally world for $20.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee thanks Fatman now I will have to go to Walmart for the longer Micro-lites. They are great rods for the price

Post Thanks / Like

I throw 1/32 -1/16oz jigs on a 9ft BnM Difference rod matched to a Shimano Saros 1000 spooled with 2lb Berkley line a good distance. Can pitch a 1/64oz jig in a pinch. Use it to freeline minners (use tiny fly fishing shot to prevent minner from swimming on the surface) near bridge pilings in boat or off the end of deep fishing piers.
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwoneal View Post
    My main crappie rods are 7' Shakespeare Micro-lites with Pfluger Trion reels, they do a great job. I have a 9' Mr. Crappie rod that I will cast jigs with at times.
    I have 2 of those rods. 7' Micro Graphite. With 4lb line on a 2000 series reel it casts a 1/32 jig further than you would believe.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 7ft bone head that is the cats meow!!!! a great casting rod and great flipping type also. it works great as a jigging pole also!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have several BPS Crappie Maxx rods now and really, really like them. They seem to have changed this year but are still IM6 graphite, the pro series is IM8 and has a cork handle instead of foam. I see they offer the Microlite model in a 7'6" length as well. I am guessing any of these would be fine but I'm still wondering if going to a 9 footer will provide any benefit when casting 1/32 and 1/16 lures.

Seems many of you are happy with your 7 footers though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 B n' M SHSS in 7' and now one in 9'. These are great rods for not too much money (<$50.). I cast 1/16 oz. jigs mainly. I use the longer rod for the 1/32 oz. jigs, as well as the 1/16 oz.. I have 5 years on the 7 footers, but only one season on the 9' model. I'm very pleased with the quality and performance of these rods. I would not hesitate to use either of these fine UL's for trout as well. As a matter of fact, this past spring we got into a school of stockies (<16" rainbows) and we caught a ton of them on these rods which were rigged for crappie.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Slabs4Dinner LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast