Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: what fish is this part 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default what fish is this part 2

Got a new ninnow in trap. What is this fish. Btw where to you guys go to trap ninnow in overland park? I try river and creek. All I get are 2-3 ninnows that does eat bread. They get in by accident.Name:  20141012_155950.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  42.2 KB
    I fish at Hillsdale lake and now la cygne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birdgod View Post
    Got a new ninnow in trap. What is this fish. Btw where to you guys go to trap ninnow in overland park? I try river and creek. All I get are 2-3 ninnows that does eat bread. They get in by accident.Name:  20141012_155950.jpg

What do you do with the minnows you catch?

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to use them for crappie fishing. But since I can't get enough of them to be useful. Now, it is just for fun with my daughter and son, I bring them to see the trap and my daughter name the fishes we caught. You can see their legs on the background. Now I have to answer them what type of fish they are.

I just realize that I mistype my original post. What I mean is that I can only get couple of minnow that doesn't feed on bread. These minnow get into the trap by accident.
    Can anyone tell me when to trap the normal ninnows that are sold in bait shop?

Post Thanks / Like

50 years ago I seined minnow out of Mill Creek just west of Shawnee Mission Park. We would get so many we could not keep them alive overnight. The only thing that I have caught in my minnow trap lately I keep on my pontoon boat in my slip at Clinton Lake are water snakes that get in but can not get out.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to use them for crappie fishing. But since I can't get enough of them to be useful. Now, it is just for fun with my daughter and son, I bring them to see the trap and my daughter name the fishes we caught. You can see their legs on the background. Now I have to answer them what type of fish they are.

I just realize that I mistype my original post. What I mean is that I can only get couple of minnow that doesn't feed on bread. These minnow get into the trap by accident.
    Can anyone tell me when to trap the normal ninnows that are sold in bait shop?
    I hope you are crappie fishing on the river or creek you catch them in because its illegal to transport them an use them on another body of water.
    Likes springhillwantabe, CaptainT16 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishlessDan View Post
    I hope you are crappie fishing on the river or creek you catch them in because its illegal to transport them an use them on another body of water.
    Good to know. Lucky I have not caught enough to keep any. So what bait was it in the picture?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a creek chub to me

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. Lucky I have not caught enough to keep any. So what bait was it in the picture?
    I'm not trying to stir the pot or upset anyone, but please read the KS regs on using/transport live bait. This is just one instance that looks like you may not have known that catching bait and using it at a different location is illegal. If you do know this, please accept my appologies. We are getting way to close to having some of these asian carp/other invasive species in our reservoirs and it could completely ruin a fisherie. I've seen videos of asian carp in some of these rivers in boats and if we get them started in our local reservoirs, the only way you will be able to fish these by boat would be using a trolling motor to get around or having full on battle gear.

Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure what kind of fish you have caught there as I'm not good with creek/river fish. Good luck to you in your search of Crappie. It's starting to get good out there from what I hear.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I know that now, I am not using the minnow in different water. Don't worry.

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

...What is this fish...Name:  20141012_155950.jpg
    Creek Chub