Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: hook size

Post Thanks / Like

Question hook size

So I was wondering what size hook you guys would recommend for tying up some rigs this winter. I was going to work on tying up some Capps and Coleman style rigs and some slab stacker style rigs for next year. From searching the forum it seems like everyone prefers between a #4 and a 1/0 hook. Where I'm fishing the size limit for most lakes on crappie is 9" and from what I've gathered talking to others while fishing at the lakes most of those caught are between 7" and 10". I'm guessing when I get hooks I'd be looking more at either #4 or #2 hooks considering the size fish I'm most likely to run into? Or would the larger #1 and 1/0 hook still be okay for that size fish.

Never fished a minnow rig before so I wasn't sure about hook size.

Post Thanks / Like

No 2 seems to be the most common here, but I go with no 4 or even 6 when using small minnows like tuffies.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes DRPEPPER LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like #4 bream hooks and hook them through the lips. DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

IMHO ... if you tie up a series of #2 & #4 Aberdeen hooks, then you're probably covered for most all sizes of live bait you'd likely use ... and any range of sizes of fish you'll likely catch.

I generally use a #2 Aberdeen for live bait rigs and for my jigs, but have also had comparable success when using #4 Aberdeen hooks for both.

Some will say they use the larger hooks because they're likely to catch Slabs in the 2+ to 3+ pound category. My experience has been that I've caught/landed Crappie up to almost 3lbs, and LMB (6lbs) & SMB (4lbs) on the #4 & #2 hooks, never having lost a fish to having the hook bend open ... even on the light wire versions of those hook sizes.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, thanks for the help guys. Now I'm off to get a bunch of #2 and #4 hooks and some line.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to "Captain Hooks" online and you can search through more hooks than you ever imagined existed!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"