Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Break In Period Advise for Mercury Optimax 150 H.P

Post Thanks / Like

Default Break In Period Advise for Mercury Optimax 150 H.P

With the wisdom on crappie.com, I thought I might solicit any hints or advice on breaking in a new Mercury Optimax 150 H.P.

Any hints on time periods at certain RPM's or how to maximize the break in , I have the owners manual from Mercury, but soliciting information from individuals that KNOW something other than a manual, can maximize the break in. No better knowledge in my book than EXPERIENCE.

In addition, what about the oil requirements after the break in period and during the break in period. On other boards, I see varying amounts of experience using different types of oils. Anyone been there and done that?

I appreciate the help and your experience, I am trying to optimize my break in experience for a long term use of the outboard and there is lots of knowledge on this board I could benefit from.

Thanks,
    Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

Default Break-in Period

Do just what the manual says. Do not run the motor over the recommended RPM for the first 10 hours that the manual calls for. I repeat, do not run the motor over the recommended RPM for the first 10 hours. WHY? The motor has a computer chip that can reveal the performance history of the motor in the event you would have to have any warrenty work done. Exceeding the RPM limits during break-in could void the warrenty.
    The motor is designed and programed to double oil itself for the first 10 hours.

Bill Braswell

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Just follow the manual. Mercury wants your motor to last. And they tell you what to do to insure that. They know if you have troubles, that you might not choose Mercury next time. Early Optimax motors had troubles and Mercury corrected those. Follow the manual. Burn the Mercury oil that is calls for. And yes, the computer stores every minute the motor runs. You won't BS a manufactures rep if you don't go by the guidelines.

Follow the directions and you and your motor will be good to each other.

Enjoy.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Run mercury opti-max oil its ashless and designed specificaly for the opti.I buy it from the dealers bulk tank in my own containers and its cheaper that way.

Post Thanks / Like

In regard to the break in period, I have had a mechanic state that the computer does not recognize a break in time for the opti, if it does not run continously for 15 to 20 minutes, and that it will continue to double oil until you have the time periods necessary by running it for those 15-20 minute cycles. However, other mechanics have stated that, that is not necessarily true. Have you heard anything like that from dealers or mechanics in your areas, that you have to run it for the 15-20 minute cycles or it will continue to double oil even past the 10 hours period??? I don't know, I am getting conflicting information.

Thanks again,
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

The tech. that i talked to said thats bull there is a run timer in the powertrain control module that is on anytime engine is running and 10 hrs is 10 hrs no matter what the cycle is.

Post Thanks / Like

A dealer can hook up a computer to your engine and tell you every rpm you have run on that motor since the first minute. If you have a warranty problem, they will hook up the computor to see if you have follwed the break-in proceedure. The engine computer will automatically double the oil for the first 10 hours. Just keep an eye on your tank to make sure it is using oil.
    The 150 optimax is a great engine. I was a little concerned about getting a Mercury at first, but I really like it. It is very easy on gas and runs great. So far, I am very satisfied with it.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Break it in by the book

I did mine that way and it's a 2000 model. No problems and it has been used a bunch. Great motors and if you look around you'll see a whole lot more black motors than anything else by a wide margin. Now 4-strokes might be a different story but Mercury has stepped up to the plate the last several years there also. I think Mercury makes all their own 4-strokes now.

Weezer.....you'll love that motor the more you own it.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like all the bases have been covered here. If you do buy the oil out of the bulk drums, have your dealer get one of the Mercury oil tanks for you. It works alot better than a milk jug or an old antifreeze bottle. Or get a two or five gallon gas can to get your oil in.