Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: has anybody seen these in crappie filets?

Post Thanks / Like

Default has anybody seen these in crappie filets?

was sent this on my facebook page, have seen white and black grubs but not these. thinking warmer water?
    check this out.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...028157&fref=nf

(WARNING - Facebook comments to this video contain foul language !! )
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 10-18-2014 at 02:41 PM. Reason: some comments to video are not kid friendly !!
    Take a kid fishing start a new friendship with nature.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a round worm, they are in a lot of fish. They live in the gut cavity and if you don't put your fish on ice right away they will burrow into the meat. I've seen it a lot with perch in the summer, the hotter it is the more you see it.
    Crappie, specs, freckles, slabs...call them what ever you want! I'll just call them delicious!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I see them a lot here in the Summer time. They cook up just fine
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)
    Likes maachuu LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen them that bad. We get them occasionally. I would have to toss fillets that had them that bad. Normally I'll just cut them out and proceed.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

looks scary but as long as the meat is cooked thoroughly you're fine.

Post Thanks / Like

So icing your catch right away keeps them from burrowing into the meat?

Ive always iced them anyway so i guess I dont have to worry. Makes me wonder what the benefit of livewells are? My thinking is out of the water, if its a keeper it goes in the ice chest. Fillet them and the fillets got back on ice until theyre packaged and put in the freezer. They always taste fresh to me that way.

So why use a livewell? I think if I ever get a boat the livewell is just going to be a built in ice chest in the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Shallow lakes are worse than deeper lake around here anyways. They come from duck or Geese pooping in the lake and the fish eat the feces and get the worms from that. We have some worms that look like a grub but nothing like that one in the video. That looks like a blood worm. The Fish and Game here said we could just take them out or just deep fry the fillets and they would hurt you. If there isn't too many in the fillets I will just pop them out and cook them anyway. They look bad but they won't harm you by eating them according to the G&P commission. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Default has anybody seen these in crappie filets?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverSlabber View Post

Ive always iced them anyway so i guess I dont have to worry. Makes me wonder what the benefit of livewells are? My thinking is out of the water, if its a keeper it goes in the ice chest. Fillet them and the fillets got back on ice until theyre packaged and put in the freezer. They always taste fresh to me that way.
    If your livewell is efficient I'd think you would be fine. I was told it's from the fish getting too hot, the worm can't survive any more and starts burrowing it's self out. But I'm no biologist, fry it eat it be happy your belly is full
    Crappie, specs, freckles, slabs...call them what ever you want! I'll just call them delicious!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RiverSlabber View Post

So why use a livewell? I think if I ever get a boat the livewell is just going to be a built in ice chest in the boat.
    most people i know ice them too. the live well would be good for culling, but thats about it. i think it firms them up a bit.

we have those worms here too. its like pulling out a piece of cajun red line. lol

Post Thanks / Like

So, your not supposed to fill your livewell with ice and beer?

I use my livewell for culling fish. You know... the times when you catch a nice one right off the bat, throw him in the cooler only to never catch another one all day long.... Like those times!
    If you don't have a timer on your livewell or circulate the water regularly, you might as well throw them on ice.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast