PDA

View Full Version : Electric Filet Knife

Lotech Joe
10-17-2014, 07:38 AM
Yesterday was my birthday and a couple of weeks ago my wife asked me what I wanted. I told her I would like to have an electric filet knife. What she got was an electric carving knife by Hamilton Beach. She said I could take it back and exchange it for a filet knife if I wanted but it would cost more. Do you think I will be alright with the carving knife or should I exchange it? Money is TIGHT. It operates on 110 and it does have a nice long cord. Here is what I got;

Hamilton Beach: Electric Knife with Storage Case (74250R) (http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/electric-knives-electric-knife-with-storage-case-74250r.html)

midcarolina
10-17-2014, 07:48 AM
IMO......... If being 120v instead of 12v is not a issue I would stick with what you got......... they all work on the same principle and will do the same job.

If after using it for a while and you really like it I would consider upgrading to a cordless model.

huntinslabs
10-17-2014, 07:53 AM
I could not begin to count or even guess how many fish I have cleaned with a carving knife. They work just fine. Maybe not as well as an American Angler or Mister Twister Saltwater series but will work just as well as any of the Rapala, Berkley etc etc. that Walmart sells. I just might not try carving the Thanksgiving Turkey right after cleaning a couple 25 or so.

Iwannafish
10-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Really, You get what you pay for. I used cheap knifes for a long time. They work. But....... if you have to clean a lot of fish, they can get very hot. They are uncomfortable to hold. They will overheat. I now have an American Angler. I have been using it over ten years. It is powerful, fast, and comfortable to hold. I much prefer it. If money is an issue, stick with the carving knife. If you can swing it, and you are comfortable spending the money, then you would not be disappointed in the good knife.

Or...as I would tell my studentrs..." at some point, due to the opportunity cost of the good knife, the pleasure you get from having a good knife, will be outweighed by the pain of having to part with your money." Only you can decide at what point that happens.

gatoloco
10-17-2014, 09:13 AM
I used one for several years. I just changed the blades and continued on. as stated earlier they do get hot and are a bit uncomfortable but you can work through it.

wicklundrh
10-17-2014, 09:22 AM
Save your money and teach the wife how to do it!!! It's a win Win situation!

TimPierce
10-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Really, You get what you pay for. I used cheap knifes for a long time. They work. But....... if you have to clean a lot of fish, they can get very hot. They are uncomfortable to hold. They will overheat. I now have an American Angler. I have been using it over ten years. It is powerful, fast, and comfortable to hold. I much prefer it. If money is an issue, stick with the carving knife. If you can swing it, and you are comfortable spending the money, then you would not be disappointed in the good knife.

Or...as I would tell my studentrs..." at some point, due to the opportunity cost of the good knife, the pleasure you get from having a good knife, will be outweighed by the pain of having to part with your money." Only you can decide at what point that happens.

@Iwannafis : An econ professor, it would seem..

billyoungb
10-17-2014, 03:17 PM
I have used them for at least 20 years with no issues.

Ranger Bob
10-17-2014, 03:49 PM
I have used one like that for a long time. cleaned any size from Perch to Salmon works great, and don't have to recharge a battery before the fish are cleaned.

midcarolina
10-17-2014, 07:18 PM
I know this thread is about an electric knife......... but watch this guy in this video, Me thinks he has cleaned more than a few fish in his time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8BvdvJFAug

Lotech Joe
10-17-2014, 08:42 PM
I know this thread is about an electric knife......... but watch this guy in this video, Me thinks he has cleaned more than a few fish in his time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8BvdvJFAug

I have two questions and they are; 1-What knife is he using? And 2-How does he sharpen it?

lowe175
10-17-2014, 09:58 PM
I have had them all and they all get hot after about 30 fish. It will work just as good as any other one.It's all in what you like .there's not a lot of price difference in most of them. I like the american anger myself but it's just personal preference. I have been out with guides that use carving knifes and I know they clean more fish than me.

Cray
10-20-2014, 08:27 AM
Joe, one thing to look at is the knife comfortable in your hand. I have a GE a Hamilton beach and American Angler. I can't hold the carving knifes anymore with ole Arthur in my hands. But you can find generic pointed blades for fillet knifes that will fit some of the carving knifes pretty cheap. My biggest complaint with the carving knife is the blades have to much gap between them and clog up quite a bit so you have to stop,remove,clean then reinstall several times when cleaning a lot of fish. Also if on a budget like you are check your thrift stores, I have bought them practically new for as little as 2.00.

Iwannafish
10-20-2014, 02:35 PM
@Iwannafis : An econ professor, it would seem..

U.S. history, actually, but you can not teach U.S. history without being able to teach a little econ along the way! (Money makes the world go around!!!)

LowePro
10-22-2014, 03:17 PM
Yesterday was my birthday and a couple of weeks ago my wife asked me what I wanted. I told her I would like to have an electric filet knife. What she got was an electric carving knife by Hamilton Beach. She said I could take it back and exchange it for a filet knife if I wanted but it would cost more. Do you think I will be alright with the carving knife or should I exchange it? Money is TIGHT. It operates on 110 and it does have a nice long cord. Here is what I got;

Hamilton Beach: Electric Knife with Storage Case (74250R) (http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/electric-knives-electric-knife-with-storage-case-74250r.html)

They work great! The only one that I have found that performs better is the "Old" American Eagle. Like 8 yrears old. I would be willing to bet I have tried every brand made and none have the power that my old american angler has. But my close second on my list is a hamilton beach carving knife. I would keep it!

Gomer Snerd
10-24-2014, 10:43 PM
he should slow down and not waste as much.