Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Filet Knife

Post Thanks / Like

Default Electric Filet Knife

Yesterday was my birthday and a couple of weeks ago my wife asked me what I wanted. I told her I would like to have an electric filet knife. What she got was an electric carving knife by Hamilton Beach. She said I could take it back and exchange it for a filet knife if I wanted but it would cost more. Do you think I will be alright with the carving knife or should I exchange it? Money is TIGHT. It operates on 110 and it does have a nice long cord. Here is what I got;

Hamilton Beach: Electric Knife with Storage Case (74250R)
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    But don't forget the Roadrunners

Post Thanks / Like

IMO......... If being 120v instead of 12v is not a issue I would stick with what you got......... they all work on the same principle and will do the same job.

If after using it for a while and you really like it I would consider upgrading to a cordless model.

Post Thanks / Like

I could not begin to count or even guess how many fish I have cleaned with a carving knife. They work just fine. Maybe not as well as an American Angler or Mister Twister Saltwater series but will work just as well as any of the Rapala, Berkley etc etc. that Walmart sells. I just might not try carving the Thanksgiving Turkey right after cleaning a couple 25 or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Really, You get what you pay for. I used cheap knifes for a long time. They work. But....... if you have to clean a lot of fish, they can get very hot. They are uncomfortable to hold. They will overheat. I now have an American Angler. I have been using it over ten years. It is powerful, fast, and comfortable to hold. I much prefer it. If money is an issue, stick with the carving knife. If you can swing it, and you are comfortable spending the money, then you would not be disappointed in the good knife.

Or...as I would tell my studentrs..." at some point, due to the opportunity cost of the good knife, the pleasure you get from having a good knife, will be outweighed by the pain of having to part with your money." Only you can decide at what point that happens.

Post Thanks / Like

I used one for several years. I just changed the blades and continued on. as stated earlier they do get hot and are a bit uncomfortable but you can work through it.

Post Thanks / Like

Save your money and teach the wife how to do it!!! It's a win Win situation!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes vic n LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iwannafish View Post
    Really, You get what you pay for. I used cheap knifes for a long time. They work. But....... if you have to clean a lot of fish, they can get very hot. They are uncomfortable to hold. They will overheat. I now have an American Angler. I have been using it over ten years. It is powerful, fast, and comfortable to hold. I much prefer it. If money is an issue, stick with the carving knife. If you can swing it, and you are comfortable spending the money, then you would not be disappointed in the good knife.

Or...as I would tell my studentrs..." at some point, due to the opportunity cost of the good knife, the pleasure you get from having a good knife, will be outweighed by the pain of having to part with your money." Only you can decide at what point that happens.
    @Iwannafis : An econ professor, it would seem..

Post Thanks / Like

I have used them for at least 20 years with no issues.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used one like that for a long time. cleaned any size from Perch to Salmon works great, and don't have to recharge a battery before the fish are cleaned.
    Watch me - I can do it again

Post Thanks / Like

I know this thread is about an electric knife......... but watch this guy in this video, Me thinks he has cleaned more than a few fish in his time.
    Likes RMGeorge LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast